why dont dsbm artists kill themselves?

In that documentary on one man black metal bands the dudes behind Xasthur and Leviathan seemed legitimately out of their minds depressed. Their homes were decrepit, their dispositions were those of defeated human beings... It really felt like they could off themselves at any time.

In that documentary on one man black metal bands the dudes behind Xasthur and Leviathan seemed legitimately out of their minds depressed. Their homes were decrepit, their dispositions were those of defeated human beings... It really felt like they could off themselves at any time.

Scott in particular. The part where he had a random flashback and left the room where he was being interviewed in for a moment was odd and sad. He has a dead stare. Fucking insane shit, but he makes great music. The thing about Scott that is awesome is he's very closed off and doesn't give out personal information. If I'm corrected, the interview on the documentary was the first time he ever showed his true face on camera.

Endless Dismal Moan. Look him up.

Just listened to this and it was fucking awesome.

I didn't like any of those one-man USA BM bands i.e. Xasthur, Leviathan and I forgot the other one that was mentioned and interviewed in the documentary. The music is way too muddled and just really shitty sounding. Yes, the atmosphere is cool, but I get bored of that after awhile if that's all there is to appreciate. The documentary was cool though because the people behind making such music were interesting as hell, too bad their music was awful. :/

However, I do like quite a bit DSBM, and overall it's just way too easy to off yourself. Why not make interesting music/art if you can beforehand?

Scott in particular. The part where he had a random flashback and left the room where he was being interviewed in for a moment was odd and sad. He has a dead stare. Fucking insane shit, but he makes great music. The thing about Scott that is awesome is he's very closed off and doesn't give out personal information. If I'm corrected, the interview on the documentary was the first time he ever showed his true face on camera.

Jef of Leviathan seemed like he was really depressed, while Scott just seemed like he hated humanity. The story of Jef's girlfriend dying, and his subsequent suicide attempt was pretty god damn sad.

Ever since Scott started Nocturnal Poisoning, he's actually changed quite a bit. His behavior's a lot different, as he's less of a recluse now, and he seems a bit happier. He know actually has a facebook page, a twitter, etc. I've talked to him a few times on facebook, actually.

Sometimes even when you're horribly depressed, suicide doesn't seem to really help. Just ends your life, doesn't change your mind that things will be better. Even worse is if you don't manage to kill yourself - say you take far too many panadols/aspirins and all you do is ruin your stomach and liver...

Sometimes even when you're horribly depressed, suicide doesn't seem to really help. Just ends your life, doesn't change your mind that things will be better. Even worse is if you don't manage to kill yourself - say you take far too many panadols/aspirins and all you do is ruin your stomach and liver...

That's the whole point of suicide. Ending your life to be freed from your misery.

Jef of Leviathan seemed like he was really depressed, while Scott just seemed like he hated humanity. The story of Jef's girlfriend dying, and his subsequent suicide attempt was pretty god damn sad.

I'd probably kill myself too. Venting all of his negative emotions into music has led to some great albums, though.

Ever since Scott started Nocturnal Poisoning, he's actually changed quite a bit. His behavior's a lot different, as he's less of a recluse now, and he seems a bit happier. He know actually has a facebook page, a twitter, etc. I've talked to him a few times on facebook, actually.

You're like the 3rd person I've heard to say that. I was shocked to hear this after seeing that documentary because he just seems like a true misanthrope, but i guess it's good he's gotten a little more opened.

I'll attempt to give Leviathan and Xasthur another chance... one day. You know when you're waiting for a song to kick in but it never does? That's how I felt like listening to it, a never ending tease.

That's the whole point of suicide. Ending your life to be freed from your misery.

Not for all people. Sometimes your misery is because of under appreciation (or something dumb like that) and so your suicide would really only contribute to that.
I'm not saying it's the golden rule, I'm just saying that it can be a reason people dont "follow through". They realise how little their death means and that by living perhaps they can achieve some menial thing.

I love this!

If somebody is in a DSBM band, and they're depressed, they're seen as poseurs. If they're in any other type of metal band, they're "actually depressed."