Women and heavy metal.

metallion

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2002
I hope you're not too bored with this topic already, but I've been wondering why there are only few active women in metal, especially in extreme metal. Of course many bands have female vocalists, sometimes even keyboard players, but how about guitarists, drummers, songwriters? Not that common, or at least they are not widely known (or recognised). Why do you think this is?

I think you don't see that many woman in the extreme scene because alot of them are'nt interested in it.Alot of guys are sexist too so alot of woman won't be given the chance to be auditioned.

Why aren't there more women in metal? Hmmm... give me a moment.

Cannibal Corpse song titles and lyrics--
--Fucked With A Knife
"Tied tight to the bed
Legs spread open
Bruised flesh, lacerations
Skin stained with blood
I'm the only one you love
I feel her heart beating
my knife deep inside
Her crotch is bleeding"

--Stripped, Raped And Strangled
"She was so beautyful
I had to kill her

Tied her up
And taped her mouth shut
Couldn't scream
Raped violently
Rope tight, around her throat
Her body twitches
As she chokes"

Visceral Evisceration Song titles and lyrics --
--At The Epicurean Gynaecologist
"Pregnant women awaiting their child
Poutinly inspection turns into fell fright
Fresh... arrivals get slashed first
A notorious... doctor slakes his thirst

Osscous remains totally gnawn

Lying... astride he amputates her shanks
Followed... by fingers, arms, legs and hands
With a hammer the baby gets shattered
Reprobating frig it until it is tattered"

--Gangling Menstrual Blood-Broth For Supper
"With a quick gash
Her throat was rift
Deepen the wound and exhaust
Last liquids of the tattered corpse

Spermy soup on lacerated skin
Thoracic cavity divided into
Nipples excise out of the breasts
Deep-red female flesh to digest"

Manowar titles and lyrics--
--Hail and Kill
"Rip their flesh
Burn their hearts
Stab them in the eyes
Rape their women as they cry
Kill their servants
Burn their homes
Till there's no blood left to spill
Hail and Kill
Power and dominion are taken by the will
By divine right hail and kill"

Brutally violent misogyny isn't the best way to attract a lot of women to a scene. Anyone have any more examples? I'm sure they're out there.

And while I'm aware that these examples aren't entirely the norm, they do have a certain power over the perceptions of those not yet in the scene. To get more women to express an interest in joining bands, it helps if you don't have prominent artists in the scene going out of their way to be depraved woman-haters.

I agree... I think a lot of women are turned off by the disrespectful attitude of a lot of men in the Metal scene. Most emails I get concerning my website are usually referring to me as a man (even though I have an "about" section). It´s like if you are in the scene you are automatically assumed to be male.

There's not many women as songwriters, true. Women express feelings in a different way. For example, if a woman gets hurt (or feels something else) she'll run off and babble it all to her friend and cry her guts out. Males are not like that, they rarely cry, they'll express it in a different way, writing a song, kicking somebody's butt, smashing all the chairs and glasses in a baryou name it :D
While the latter two are just a result of frustration for not being able to let it all out in a civilised manner, the first one can give some very good results.

Maybe I generalised a bit but I think it goes something like that very oftenly.

Originally posted by AngelWitch73
I agree... I think a lot of women are turned off by the disrespectful attitude of a lot of men in the Metal scene. Most emails I get concerning my website are usually referring to me as a man (even though I have an "about" section). It´s like if you are in the scene you are automatically assumed to be male.

That's because we don't expect a woman to make a metal gospel, got used to that mostly males are making sites such as yours.
But this doesn't mean that we disrespect you or women in general. Well at least I don't, it's nice to see a female making an effort.

Keep it up!

Oops, I just remembered something. That Visceral Evisceration example doesn't hold up because they actually had a female backup vocalist. It was funny as hell to hear her get all operatic and sing "The baby gets shattered!" :lol:

I'm a chick in metal .... I play guitar.
We have more of an industrial metal sound but they do let me do my growls on occasion to kinda show off my death metal influences.
For the most part I am not taken seriously as a musician.
Everyone thinks its cool but when it is done they underestamate me. They think of me as a sexy chick with a guitar.
eye-candy and nothing more. Of course they love my music preferances as well .... but me a musician ... they laugh.
However some people do like it and do think its great.
But look at the past ... females in music produce one hit wonders ... they appear in one music video showing cleavage the world likes it. one song and its over.
its BS.

I agree with 403 completely. Its a lot more to do with blokes innability to vent anger any other way... For a kick off men are generally more violent and angry (especially teenagers who feel they must prove themselves whether its by their extremity or otherwise) as they have a lot more testosterone, couple that with an innability to do as much about it as women, and music becomes a good way of expression.

Just the same as the majority criminals are male,90% of murderers are male, nearly all GBH and ABH charges are filed against men etc. etc. And the majority of metal fans are most definitely male. Out of all the people I've talked to on UM which is quitea few only just over 10 are female....

Originally posted by 403

That's because we don't expect a woman to make a metal gospel, got used to that mostly males are making sites such as yours.
But this doesn't mean that we disrespect you or women in general. Well at least I don't, it's nice to see a female making an effort.

Keep it up!

Thanks 403. I know what you mean.

some of my fav bands have female vocals/members:

Nuclear Death
Arch Enemy
Sinister
OperaIX
Unholy
Romantic Gorilla
Haemorrhage
Melvins
Bethlehem
and many more

and some i been meaning to check out:
Merlin
Thorr's Hammer
Mythic
Derketa

It was funny as hell to hear her get all operatic and sing "The baby gets shattered!" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just the same as the majority criminals are male,90% of murderers are male, nearly all GBH and ABH charges are filed against men etc. etc. And the majority of metal fans are most definitely male. Out of all the people I've talked to on UM which is quitea few only just over 10 are female....

Not being able to vent out anger and feelings in general results in somewhat of a yin and yang situation, on one hand you've got all these great songs mostly written by men not being able to express it through words (to a friend, lover etc), crying whatever, on the other hand you've got killers on the loose frustrated by this and that, letting it all out by murder, rape......

And yes, a handful of people here are female. So here's a cheer to all of you feminine creatures here from ole 403 :D

Originally posted by AngelWitch73
Some of my favourite female bands with females:

SACRALIS
ACROSTICHON
OPERA IX
THE GATHERING (old albums)
LACUNA COIL

You forgot LEFT HAND SOLUTION :D

In most of the bands that do have women as members, male members write and compose. There are exceptions of course, like The Gathering, I think Anneke writes the lyrics and a song here and there.

Originally posted by godisanatheist
Hehe, 403's on the pull

aw, quit yer yakkin' sonny :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Gathering's "old albums" were death metal. Anneke didn't join until later on.

Sorry to be blunt, and I'm sure this will offend a lot of people, but women in general aren't as good of musicians as men. Yes, I know it's a generalization, but have you ever heard of a woman who could play drums like Sean Reinert or guitar like Michael Romeo? I haven't. Every band I've heard that has women in roles other than vocalist has had only decent music. On top of that, most women don't like heavy music. Sure, there are quite a few girls here at UM, but in comparison to the number of guys who are into it, they represent a miniscule minority. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more women getting into it, but until some girl comes along who is a really great musician (other than vocalist), I doubt it'll happen.