Worst metal you've ever heard?

Life Sucks said:
There's underground in every genre, even hip hop and alternative rock. With metal, almost none of it is mainstream, and that's the big difference between metal and other genres.

Anyways, I pretty much only listen to metal, along with a select few hardcore and punk bands I happen to like. I just can't get into any hip hop, rock, country, etc.

I can get into some of it, but then there's those god-awful people who say "I only listen to nu-country and mainstream rap. metal sucks." I just want to stab those people.

my friend is a punk fan...a real punk fan like he listens to black flag and bad religion and the vandals and the replacements and gorilla biscuits and he showed me some of greenday's old stuff right after i showed him dismember and greenday used to be decent, not earth-shatteringly amazing but they had faster more punk-like music and not with the pop-rock tone they have now. I wouldn't listen to them religiously but if i heard old greenday and st. anger metallica playing, i would choose older greenday

Greys seems to think the only alternative to metal is mainstream music though. We're all a bit worried about him.

I don't really think that though it generally comes off like that. I just don't know where to go. I feel like everything is trying to be put on me in music in general and can't get myself out. I get frusterated in a general sense by being directionless and failing at finding music too enjoy. I can't stand majority of newer metal just as much as any other music that is pushed on people and it's like trying to get the world off your shoulders. I feel like people expect you to do certain things and listen to certain music.

Kreator/Destroyer said:
my friend is a punk fan...a real punk fan like he listens to black flag and bad religion and the vandals and the replacements and gorilla biscuits and he showed me some of greenday's old stuff right after i showed him dismember and greenday used to be decent, not earth-shatteringly amazing but they had faster more punk-like music and not with the pop-rock tone they have now. I wouldn't listen to them religiously but if i heard old greenday and st. anger metallica playing, i would choose older greenday

Black Flag and The Gorilla Biscuits are awesome. The Replacements aren't too shabby either.

The Greys said:
I don't really think that though it generally comes off like that. I just don't know where to go. I feel like everything is trying to be put on me in music in general and can't get myself out. I get frusterated in a general sense by being directionless and failing at finding music too enjoy. I can't stand majority of newer metal just as much as any other music that is pushed on people and it's like trying to get the world off your shoulders. I feel like people expect you to do certain things and listen to certain music.

You really don't need to do anything for anyone other than yourself, but you seem to have some real self esteem issues. If you're tiring of metal, generally speaking, try asking metalheads of their non-metal listening habits. You won't be recommended mainstream crap because (and I speak quite generally here) most would retain the same underground and musical values in other styles of music.

Jazz is definitely not mainstream. And no, that muzak you hear at the dentist's office is not jazz at all. Bluegrass, zydeco, reggae (again, Sean Paul and other related bullshit IS NOT reggae), and of course all forms of ambient/noise music are not mainstream at all. Give those genres a try if you want to expand your horizons. Also, try listening to public radio. NPR affiliated stations play some amazing shit from the aforementioned genres, and of course, some great symphonic/opera music as well.

The Greys said:

Peer pressure's a bitch, but seriously man, fuck that shit. Listen to what you want, not what you think you should be listening to. If you're not satisfied with metal then go listen to something else. Metal will always be there to come back to whenever you feel like it. There is great non-mainstream music in just about every style. Metal makes up about 20-30% of my collection.

The Greys said:
I sometimes wonder what I would listen to if not metal. Can you really listen to metal music forever. I still would not listen to mainstream music regardless what it was.

I wondered that too but then discovered ambient,neoclassical and folk. If you're looking for artists who are able to paint dark, gloomy sinister soundscapes you'll find them in abundance in these musical niches

Reactions: Nico
I never quite understood why people use music as a tool of "image"

dude listen to whatever you want, fuck everybody else. The main purpose of music is to give you pleasure, and if that's not happening with metal, listen to something else

right now I'm getting into underground rap (immortal technique, etc...) it's pretty cool

and why do you guys care if something is mainstream or not?? jeez take the time to evaluate the music based on the music not based on the recording company (like mastodon for one)