Worst Opeth Song Moment

Originally posted by Don Corleone
naaah, that beginning is cool, in my opinion.

the worst moment is -and im sure many will agree with me- that totally-out-of-place sound effect at the end of bleak.

Sorry. Totally disagree. I love that part.

Metalmaster-
To paraphrase Dr. Zoidberg, why all the hate? People have different taste, but generally I do feel that "Blackwater Park" is their least popular album among those who have liked Opeth for a while. I don't care for "BWP" at all, I tried to listen to it again yesterday (to give my copy of 'Deliverance' a much needed rest), and I was bored before 'Bleak' had finished. I continued to listen though for the very beautiful acoustic section in the final part of 'The Drapery Falls' but then I had enough and went back to 'Deliverance'. I don't mean to say that the album is terrible or anything, but there's something about the structures, riffs and sound that don't appeal to me (and others).

I've been listening to it for two weeks to give Deliverance a break also. Harvest came on random play at home the other day and my boyfriend said (with much conviction) "This is a great piece of music, this song. What's it called?" He's been carrying the tape around in his car for a while and likes it very much. It's always fun learning what he likes compared to my own tastes. I fear he may have something against growls in general.
sad3.gif
Which leads me to...

jade-
...for people who have never heard anything with growls this is a tuff spot to start. the production is less crisp and the whole album looks alot darker then some people are used to. BWP definatly is the way to introduce people who are not used to growling to opeth.

Yes, and Damnation will rule the non-growly kingdom once released. But what I said "I can't understand how some people can't get into MAYH." wasn't meant seriously and mainly directed towards current appreciators of Opeth. I copied Moonlapse's post... changed a few key words... did anyone catch that... besides maybe Birgith? O'well. I failed.
smug2.gif
But where I fail in humor, I make up for in reason. It IS very understandable for someone who doesn't listen to Opeth having a hard time getting into MAYH. Its heaviness is why it remains a favorite of mine to this day.

Neil-
Did anyone else notice the drum fuckups on Orchid?

It's called originality...character. Not fuckups, m'man. :D :lol:

I don't understand how people could dislike the outro to the song 'Deliverance'... it's heavy as hell, with masterful drumming and palm-muted riffs, and the subtle differences and drum fills in each repeat give me the Opeth nummies every time I listen to it.

The only Opeth moments I think I could do without are:

1) The sudden jerky stop at the end of 'Serenity Painted Death'. It just sounds like a fuckup, even if it was intentional.

2) The extended silence and reverse outro at the end of 'By The Pain I See In Others'. It fucks up my flow when in random play.

3) The opening intro to 'The Moor'. I always fast-forward that.

BTW - Opeth @ Jaxx last night was fantastic, my highlight being the extended outro to 'Deliverance' and hearing 'Godhead's Lament' live. :) Amazing.

2) The extended silence and reverse outro at the end of 'By The Pain I See In Others'. It fucks up my flow when in random play.

I too know your pain. I had to go make sure something wasn't broke.

Originally posted by COnsiderateApathy
I don't understand how people could dislike the outro to the song 'Deliverance'... it's heavy as hell, with masterful drumming and palm-muted riffs, and the subtle differences and drum fills in each repeat give me the Opeth nummies every time I listen to it.

The only Opeth moments I think I could do without are:

3) The opening intro to 'The Moor'. I always fast-forward that.

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?! BLASPHEMER! BURN IN HELL! DIE! DIE! DIE! *ahem*

It's niiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!! It's very atmospheric dude. How can you like Opef and not appreciate that. Oh well, to each (blasphemer) their own.

And the outro to Deliverance. Yeah dude, I like it. It's really cool BUT.....they drag it out for FAR too long. So much is inexcusable.

The outro for deliverance is pretty great live, it didnt seem as long, but you couldnt hear the bass drumming as well as on the cd. Im going to have to admit that i skip through the intro to The Moor. I skip until the acoustic guitar part starts.... I just feel the need to get straight into the song... Every once and a while ill just start the cd and let everything play until the end... Those are my happy times..

Originally posted by SculptedCold
And the outro to Deliverance. Yeah dude, I like it. It's really cool BUT.....they drag it out for FAR too long. So much is inexcusable.

I feel the same way about the intro to "The Moor". It drags out FAR too long and is inexcusable. ;) But all in all, considering the bulk of work they put out, those three annoyances of mine are petty.

Ah well. To each his own.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Whaddya know, the thread is back again. I disagree about Bleak, I think it's a pretty cool effect, and since I'm a Meshuggah fan, it doesn't really hurt my ears all that much.

I think MAYH would have the worst moments.. I'm not a really big fan of Karma or The Amen Corner... but it makes up for that with Madrigal, Demon of the Fall etc. etc.

:eek: I fucking LOOOOVEEEEE the long-ass growling session near the end of Karma!!! and The Amen Corner has the most beautiful sounds especially at 6:20 :cry: you people have very odd taste.

the end of Bleak is the best part IMO. I love the way the change things up there, it's neat and I'm glad they experimented like that. I haven't heard all of their songs yet... I don't like Black Rose Immortal that much though, it was wayyy too hard to get into and having ADD... I'm not quite up for the task of concentrating on every single nuance of the song in order to fully grasp its concept yet :ill: that's all though, most everything else I heard by them I like or love. hehe. Maybe The Apostle In Triumph's beginning is pretty weak so, yea that fuck up fucked it up, hehe...

The worst moment of any opeth song is the fact that the quiet acoustic part (chorusish) on A Fair Judgement is so damn short, it makes me want to pull out my teeth.

Originally posted by GreatPhoenix
:eek: I fucking LOOOOVEEEEE the long-ass growling session near the end of Karma!!! and The Amen Corner has the most beautiful sounds especially at 6:20 :cry: you people have very odd taste.

the end of Bleak is the best part IMO. I love the way the change things up there, it's neat and I'm glad they experimented like that. I haven't heard all of their songs yet... I don't like Black Rose Immortal that much though, it was wayyy too hard to get into and having ADD... I'm not quite up for the task of concentrating on every single nuance of the song in order to fully grasp its concept yet :ill: that's all though, most everything else I heard by them I like or love. hehe. Maybe The Apostle In Triumph's beginning is pretty weak so, yea that fuck up fucked it up, hehe...

ADD? Damn man, that really must suck. I used to know guy in my old school with ADD, he couldn't focus on anything, just had to keep moving, punching people, whatever.

If you people can't respect what they felt at the time they were recording these songs, how can you call yourselves "fans".
Quit fucking analizing shit and enjoy what they do or sell all of your OPETH shit and stop calling youself a fan!!!!!!!!:mad:

'by the pain i see in others' i personally find a big disgrace. like: we have all these riffs and parts and bits that aren't good enough for the first five songs, well just randomly knock them together and let's call it a song. fuck that. that outro is just incredibly dumbfounded... who would care waiting three minutes of silence for some backward vocals. that whole secret track concept shouldve never been invented anyway.