Worst trend in Metal

Worst trend in Metal

• Total voters
Folk/Viking/Pagan metal is an incredibly nebulous genre anyway. It's hard for me to believe that Falkenbach and Draugnim play the same genre of music as Finntroll and Korpiklaani.

And when did popularity come into the argument? Just because a band hasn't been recognized by the general public doesn't mean they don't play good music.

Burping/gurgling vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WLPvzGgWs0

No one ever said popularity was a measure of good music but there is a line to be drawn when something like what you just posted comes into an argument.

WHO THE FUCK LISTENS TO THAT? Is what a lot of people will say in utter disbelief and when you can answer with only "well.. it's popular here and here"

It doesn't really hold much weight. And man that is fucking awful (whatever you posted)

i can't believe burping vocals didnt get more votes. you guys LIKE to hear froggy and piggy and gurgling phlegm sounds in your metal?? i myself love deep as fuck growls but burping? hell no.

also, metalcore/deathcore/hardcore should NOT be lumped in with hipster and poser bullshit. because like them or not, they are valid genres and have some good bands.

No one ever said popularity was a measure of good music but there is a line to be drawn when something like what you just posted comes into an argument.

WHO THE FUCK LISTENS TO THAT? Is what a lot of people will say in utter disbelief and when you can answer with only "well.. it's popular here and here"

It doesn't really hold much weight. And man that is fucking awful (whatever you posted)

THAT band is Demilich, a highly regarded death metal band with a close following.

I've never had anyone ask me who the fuck listens to the band I'm listening to. I think you're confusing yourself with "a lot of people".

And by your argument, Slipknot and Disturbed are where it's at because a lot of people listen to them.

Why do you think this? I don't understand how you can substantiate this comment.

Because if you look up album sales by region, festivals, and concert attendance you see a certain demographic that this genre appeals to and that demographic is miniscule. I don't understand why you are having such a hard time grasping this?

In order to measure something you need a reference point to put it up against. Folk/viking metal is a sub-genre of 'metal' and metal is already not that big globally....Why are you so perplexed?

THAT band is Demilich, a highly regarded death metal band with a close following.

I've never had anyone ask me who the fuck listens to the band I'm listening to. I think you're confusing yourself with "a lot of people".

And by your argument, Slipknot and Disturbed are where it's at because a lot of people listen to them.

Perfect example of false logic. Because your circle of friends/bands know what you listen to means that group isn't part of a 'niche' audience?

Never did I say popularity is a measure of good music. Someone can say Slipknot and Disturbed blow big dick but it'd be a hard pressed argument to prove that they only appeal to a "niche" audience considering they have moved a substantial amount of records.

A genre itself could be 'niche' such as Industrial music but then someone may say something like "well look at NIN" yes, look at NIN, 1 group in a sea of many that molded different aspects of electronic/industrial to become widely known. It doesn't mean industrial for the most part isn't "niche" because it is.

Folk/Viking metal doesn't even have a breakthrough act yet.

um, for the record. VIKING and FOLK are musically different. lyrically there may be similarities. but the music styles are pretty defined. viking metal is darker and has a black metal influence. folk metal isnt dark at all. i know i lumped in together earlier (for a different purpose obviously). but you shouldnt say folk and viking are one over arching genre, because they arent.

viking:

folk:

~gR~

Last edited by a moderator:
Folk/Viking metal doesn't even have a breakthrough act yet.

false! tyr, alestorm, eluveitie, turisas, ensiferum, and korpiklaani. theyve all "broken out". record sales were incredibly strong, as were the turnouts for their US tours. and i'm getting that straight from the bands (during interviews and what not). also, you dont go on tour with dragonforce unless youve made a bit of a wave in the scene (referencing turisas). lastly, bands certainly wouldnt come back on a second tour of the US if there was no demand for it. ensiferum has been thrown on a lot of major tours lately. i would imagine there is a reason for that

i think its pretty obvious that atleast the folk scene is larger than a niche crowd. viking, well you can make an argument...
~gR~

Can we please get an exact definition for hipsterism, I've heard such a wide range of bands called "hipster" bands that I think it's complete bullshit. I understand "poser" but from the applications i've seen with "hipster," they don't seem to be the same.

Because if you look up album sales by region, festivals, and concert attendance you see a certain demographic that this genre appeals to and that demographic is miniscule. I don't understand why you are having such a hard time grasping this?

Album sales have very little to do with how widely a genre is appreciated. Do you realize how many people download?

In order to measure something you need a reference point to put it up against. Folk/viking metal is a sub-genre of 'metal' and metal is already not that big globally....Why are you so perplexed?

What does this statement mean? I understand completely that folk/viking metal isn't necessarily "popular" among your average high school cheerleader; what I'm having difficulty with is your "objective" analysis concerning its popularity among metalheads. You cannot measure anything based on album sales; and furthermore, as gr and Eligos have said, popularity doesn't equate quality.

You can certainly say that folk/viking metal is your least favorite trend; that's fine; but stop trying to substantiate your claim as some factual observation.

especially when your facts are wrong and dumb

i think its safe to say when we're talking about the popularity of metal sub genres, we are talking about its popularity in the scene and not the entire world.
~gR~

Probably because I mainly listen to stuff with growls these days, the power/falsetto thing gets on my nerves.

Arguing with that troll took way too long...

also... where is the

"People who hate brutal death metal vocals" option?

Viking metal, what the fuck is viking music anyway. I also hate the lyrics, they're all just cheap exploitation without any depth, hate that Amon Amarth shit.
I see Amon Amarth to be more melodeath than viking.
Still pretty shit however.
also... where is the

"People who hate brutal death metal vocals" option?
You're the last person I'd think would vote for that.

Nah I love brutal death metal. Look how I worded it and the title of the thread. It makes sense.