Your favourite anime series

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
I finished watching the Death Note and holy fuck that was fucking awesome. Shame that was a bit too short and Misa Misa it´s probably the worst character ever but I loved it anyway.

I saw also Naruto Shippuden till for 4 season I think but sometimes becomes too predictable and boring with his attitude being nice to all. But I liked what I saw. Have to keep up with the new seasons.

Anyway, what´s your favourite anime series and why?

Not an anime guy but back in the day I really enjoyed Dragon Ball when goku was a kid, first two or three seasons of Pokemon I think (before Johto, it ruled so hard), Slam Dunk... hmm I don't remember others right now. This one ruled too:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qj0n-fcJSo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qj0n-fcJSo[/ame]

Death Note is one the first anime's that I ever tried, and to my surprise it turned out to be damn good all things considering. Good suspense and an interesting cat&mouse type of plot. The protagonist is kinda awesome too. Sadly, it had some beyond stupid anime shlock too ( if you ever saw an anime, you know what I'm talking about). But I could sort of forgive that.
Inspired by that revelation I tried to watch a bunch of other series and.... Oh my, most of them turned out to be beyond terrible, just a pain to even sit through. Even the supposedly serious/good ones too.. I won't even talk about all the bullshit action/comedy ones either, those are all horrible. Good to shit ratio with anime is like 1/1000 and I'm not even kidding.

Bebop was cool. I enjoyed Trigun. FLCL and Blue Streak was entertaining. When I was younger and watched cartoons regularly though I was into Digimon up until I think season 4 and obviously DBZ. YuYu Hakisho was tight- been meaning to watch those again.

I'm not really super into anime anyway- I gave most Toonami/Adult Swim shows a few episodes but couldn't get into Inuyasha or Naruto or Lupin or Big O or that one with the ghost in the samurai armor or whatever Ect...

Fist Of The North Star is kind of a cool show on IFC for a while. Old redub with wacky soundtrack but it was entertaining. I'm more into action based plots. I can't get into cat ears and highschool sexual tension with ghosts.

Gundam Wing though, I never took the time to watch many of those but my friends who were heavy into anime seemed to like it.

Good mentions so far!
Gundam Wing is my top overall. Death Note is great indeed. Dragonball and Z are both insanely awesome. Neon Genesis Evangelion is a favourite. Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop are overrated IMO.

^I feel the same way about bebop, but having watched before it was cool I'm satisfied with my standing. I never got into Death Note, it felt so cheesy after the first five episodes.

I was a complete & total Robotech fanboy back in the 80s. ...and before that Starblazers fuelled my imagination. Loved Akira in college...

insert a 20 year gap.

Then I got Netflix. Damn, I really missed out on some amazing shit!

Particular favourites:

Death Note: Awesome mind-fuck of a show.

Highschool of the Dead: The best anime to come out since Akira. If you haven't seen it, you have no idea of what you're missing

Rosario & Vampire: A total guilty pleasure. I laughed my ass off. Who knew anime could be funny like this?

Code Geass: Ridiculously over-the-top awesome.

Gurran Laggen: Even more ridiculously over the top. Just WAAAAY too much fun.

Elfen Lied: Well, the first five minutes are incredibly disturbing, anyway :)

any other suggestions?

Ahhh elfen lied, it gave me nightmares

Does anyone know the name of that gory anime with cute characters?

Don't know much about manga, but this somewhat nsfw cartoon seems interesting :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good mentions so far!
Gundam Wing is my top overall. Death Note is great indeed. Dragonball and Z are both insanely awesome. Neon Genesis Evangelion is a favourite. Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop are overrated IMO.

Hellsing OVA overrated?

Christians vs KKK vs Nazi zombies vs vampires vs good humans in one big war in London?

Bitch please.....

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (dont get fooled by the looks) its awesome..and the drawings are amazing (if you can watch it in 1080p 10bit)

Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood

School days and Saikano are both awesome. they start as a shoujo but then HOLY SHIT.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Ao no Exorcist

Shingetsutan tsukihime

i laughed my ass off with:
Working!!
Lucky star
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Detroit metal city
Seto no Hanayome
school rumble

As Glenn said, thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Have to take a look at those. A friend of mine suggested code of geass, it´s probably the next on the list.

I'm with Glenn on this one - Robotech/Macross and Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato were my absolute favorite anime shows as a kid.

I re-watched them all a few years back, and for the most part they still hold up. Great stuff.