Your last purchase??

The other two are great as well...but Birds of Fire is like "the black album" of fusion

I suppose, I tend to enjoy both equally though. :headbang:

I haven't found any other fusion I enjoy nearly as much as the Mahavishnu Orchestra though; I like Miles Davis' later electric/fusion oriented material and I enjoy some Weather Report releases but I don't enjoy either quite as much as Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Heavy Weather is the only Weather Report album I've ever really gotten into. I like the other stuff, but I've played at 5 or 6 of the tunes on Heavy Weather in various groups at various points in time, so I've always connected the most to it. It hard for me to pick out favorite fusion bands because it usually comes down to particular players I like. As far as the older fusion bands go...I'm a big fan of return to forever, the various incarntions of the Chick Corea band, and the Yellow Jackets.

Chick Corea is probably my favorite (Aside from Mahavishnu Orchestra, of course.) He is the most prolific musician I have ever heard of. Maybe besides Frank Zappa or Rick Wakeman.

Fall%20of%20Hyperion%20Front%20Book%20Cover.gif

Found it in 'Very Good' condition on Amazon Marketplace for $0.12. Hyperion, barring a few AC Clark novels, is the best Sci Fi book I have ever read. It's one where you pick it up for what seems like 5 minutes and quickly get through 50 pages. GRRM will have to wait until I finish the other 3 of these!

I think the last thing I bought was probably Nothing But Death Remains by Edge of Sanity.

Get "kind of blue" ASAP. Not exactly a fusion album, but still...

Will do!

Burnout wrote

My fave 70's fusion record is probably Tony Williams Lifetime-Believe It. Holdsworth is awesome.

I'll have to check out the Tony Williams Lifetime album; I tried The Sixteen Men of Tain by Holdsworth, but I really couldn't get in to it.

Fall%20of%20Hyperion%20Front%20Book%20Cover.gif

Found it in 'Very Good' condition on Amazon Marketplace for $0.12. Hyperion, barring a few AC Clark novels, is the best Sci Fi book I have ever read. It's one where you pick it up for what seems like 5 minutes and quickly get through 50 pages. GRRM will have to wait until I finish the other 3 of these!

That whole series is outstanding. :worship:

Holdsworth can be really hard to get into. It wasn't until after several tries that he finally clicked with me, and now he's by far one of my favorite players. If you want to check out a solo release, I think the best place to start is his live cd "all night wrong". Road Games or Metal Fatigue would also be good places to start. I have a bunch of bootlegs and unreleased studio recordings if you are interested in checking some of that stuff out, but even with that in mind I still thing All Night Wrong would be the wiser starting point.

Holdsworth can be really hard to get into. It wasn't until after several tries that he finally clicked with me, and now he's by far one of my favorite players. If you want to check out a solo release, I think the best place to start is his live cd "all night wrong". Road Games or Metal Fatigue would also be good places to start. I have a bunch of bootlegs and unreleased studio recordings if you are interested in checking some of that stuff out, but even with that in mind I still thing All Night Wrong would be the wiser starting point.

Yeah, that album just felt flashy for the sake of it and it didn't seem like it really went anywhere. I'll check out some of the other stuff though.

North is probably their best yet. I'm not gushing over it because I'm kind of over Everon, lyrically. So depressing and emo, and now that I'm not emphatic to that outlook, it's lost on me.