Your last purchase??

i want to buy more music.. or download more to try out.. you guys should know what sort of thing i like by now.. great vocals, be that clean or death (preferably male - and if its death vocals, fairly slow understandable ones.. not the incoherant screaming) and with awesome music too - any suggestions?

I've got a few more suggestions :D One i'd say you might like because the music rules and the vocals rule. The other is more a shot in the dark and you'll probably be like :puke:

First off, my favorite band of all time: Swallow the Sun!!!
I wasn't going to go to wacken this year even though there's a shitton of amazing bands, but literally I am going just because they were announced. They're doom death, amazing fucking band. I'd suggest you start with Hold This Woe from their myspace because it has both their clean and death vocals (though they are mostly death vocal band). the death vocals are not as clear as say amon amarths. They are not defined well at all, but they fit very well. The clean vocals are reminiscent (read: not the same, but remind one of) Opeth. Anyway, every song on that myspace page is awesome (they literally have not written a bad song and are the ONLY band who, at this point, i'd give both of their albums 100% marks). They have a new album out soon (mine's on pre-order) and have a video for the new single on myspace:

Next is The Project Hate. I thought their last album was great but a lot of the other stuff i've heard is not as good. They are a mix of death metal vocals (you'd probably like the dm vocals) and female vocals, though for once the female vocals don't annoy the shit out of me, so that's a good thing. The music is kind of death metally with some industrial/electronic elements. It's very interesting, but the lyrical themes are very overtly satanic, so if that doesn't do it for you, there's not much point. This band i'll just send you some mp3s of since they don't appear to have an official myspace and most everything on their site for download is shitty remix stuff.

Eluveitie (That Mr Fast mentioned) is awesome. Black/Death influenced folk metal, but basically all they are is dark tranquillity playing folk music (note: none of the members of dark tranquillity are in this band). Their melodic dm moments are very much gothenburg sound, but their folk parts are awesome. They've got a very diverse array of classical folk instruments as well. Along with bass, guitar, drums, etc, you have a hurdy gurdy, tin flute, bagpipes, etc. etc. etc. My favorite song on the disc is either Your Gaulish War or Song of Life. here's a video for Of Fire, Wind, and Wisdom

Edit: Most metal bagpipes ever!!!
l_43ceb656debe02430ab082c9913766fc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd heard of STS from someone a while ago but had forgotten about them.. man i was hanging on to every second of that 'don't fall asleep' vid.. it was incredible! if that is what the new album is sounding like, i cannot wait to get it! but yes, that kind of thing is my exact taste..

i want to buy more music.. or download more to try out.. you guys should know what sort of thing i like by now.. great vocals, be that clean or death (preferably male - and if its death vocals, fairly slow understandable ones.. not the incoherant screaming) and with awesome music too - any suggestions?

Blind Stare

Justin Timberlake (his falsetto gets me wet)
Scissor Sisters
Anthony Callea (he's everything a man should be)

Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
Aghora - Formless (they have a female singer but it's real good stuff....)