Your thoughts?

Do you want Opeth to become more "mainstream"?

• Yea, thats cool. Good for them!

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • No way. They're MY band! I don't want them to be too popular.

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 39 57.4%

• Total voters
if opeth changes the sound then....this relationship wont work.....

my bands I listen to cause they do their thing

and I really dont think opeth will change their sound, if you watched the dvd Lamentations, the documentary, Mikael says that he wanted to go a different way of what the listener would think they would go, which really earns my respect in that they do their own thing rather then what we want, cause they know, we will still like it what ever the come out with!

rock on

I have to go for the strong "yes" if we are talking about Opeth getting known or better known by millions of other people. I would support the "no" if by "mainstream" you mean Opeth changing their style so much as to please the radio-formula (MTV-like stuff).

And you guys, stop using Metallica as an example of sold out (unless you think it's the only band out there who has sold out).

Hmm interesting thread. I want Opeth to continue progresing musically, but not change thier sound to pander to a trend or a market.
I've turned people on to Opeth who were into folk, alternative music, nu metal, hardcore. Ironicaly THEY now are elitist extreme metal fans.
I've always thought, specifically after the release of Black Water Park that Opeth were a gateway band into extreme metal.
A long as they understand the extreme metal scene as whole, past and present that's fine with me.
If people listen to any kind of heavy music, nu metal, hard rock, they could listen to Opeth.
Even Mike's death vocals are comprehensible in comparison to other death metal vocalists.

I can't really see it happening, in the way that Slipknot is "mainstream" at least - Opeth don't do radio-length songs, they don't fit the MTV-inspired picture of the modern rock god ("so, how many gangs do you boys run with?......WHAT?!? NONE?!?.....Fuck it, im putting you down for 3!"), and they actually have some intelligence to their music. Too many will find it confusing or boring or "just not their type of music" for them to be REALLY mainstream. All i can see is them reigning supreme as the overlords of the Metal domain. That is very ok by me. Uhhhh, so to sum up, i answered "i dont care".

I would like to see them get more popular, but obviously, as many other people said, they shouldn't change their sound to cater to the new audience.

I have never understood why people would ever not want their band to succeed (i.e. get "mainstream")because they want it to be "their" band. This is completely stupid and selfish. I want my favorite bands to do well, because this is their career and with increased popularity comes more money-which is great for them.

By the way themoor666, love your "Emos" thing.

Opeth don't make music for the masses, its not as if they will ever go mainstream.