YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

Hey man, I don't post here very often but I browse from time to time. I would just like to give a quick thanks for the 2 videos man, this is a really interesting technique and very useful. Thanks again.

Hey man, I don't post here very often but I browse from time to time. I would just like to give a quick thanks for the 2 videos man, this is a really interesting technique and very useful. Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words man!:Spin:

maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you just save the Ozone plugin settings and just call those up rather than go through the trouble of making the IR?

on my system, using an IR in a plugin (like KeFir or SIR, etc.) use more processing power than just using the EQ section of Ozone. In Cubase, I could just save the plugin setting and call that up, right?

maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you just save the Ozone plugin settings and just call those up rather than go through the trouble of making the IR?

on my system, using an IR in a plugin (like KeFir or SIR, etc.) use more processing power than just using the EQ section of Ozone. In Cubase, I could just save the plugin setting and call that up, right?

You could..
But going through the "trouble" of making an IR is worth it for some/many..
You have a small "preset" of a few kb that can be shared, sorted in your own library and easily transfered.. also it's so much easier to just switch IR, like you can in Boogex, to hear what tone might suit the track..

You could..
But going through the "trouble" of making an IR is worth it for some/many..
You have a small "preset" of a few kb that can be shared, sorted in your own library and easily transfered.. also it's so much easier to just switch IR, like you can in Boogex, to hear what tone might suit the track..

I suppose if you often use IR's it would be handy. For me, I'll always have Ozone and Cubase, so saving an Ozone preset would be just as easy for me.

I was more or less just making sure that simply doing the matching and leaving it at that and using Ozone, it would still work the same way/produce the same results.

I'm epic confused with this right now. I've been trying to get this to work for the past hour and a half, but it's not working correctly for me. At first, I was getting curves in my Snapshots, but the matching was horrible, it either turned the sound into a bunch of clipping, or into something like a robotic synth. Now, when I do the exact same thing as before, it's not saving any curves, so there's nothing to match. Super confused!

Maybe I'm just retarded... but I linked a video of what I'm doing as a video response to your original video, if you wouldn't mind watching and seeing WTF I'm doing wrong! :p

*edit* Gonna try in PT9, maybe it's a Reaper issue...

*edit* Nope... same issues there :(

This is awesome. Although my favourite tone is Opeth on Still Life, and making an impulse of it has just made it obvious that it's far too distinctive to be useable.

Also, you don't necessarily have to match the original tone, because any difference will be made up for. I made an awesome IR to make Acmebargig's C-15 sound like Devin Townsend's tone on Storm - I've always liked the C-15's response, lovely fat chugs etc, but have never been able to use it because it has way too many EQ-related problems (way too dark and muddy, presence knob just makes it fizzy). But this process automatically makes up for that muddiness and forces it into the EQ of Devy's tone. 'sawesome.

This is awesome. Although my favourite tone is Opeth on Still Life, and making an impulse of it has just made it obvious that it's far too distinctive to be useable.

Also, you don't necessarily have to match the original tone, because any difference will be made up for. I made an awesome IR to make Acmebargig's C-15 sound like Devin Townsend's tone on Storm - I've always liked the C-15's response, lovely fat chugs etc, but have never been able to use it because it has way too many EQ-related problems (way too dark and muddy, presence knob just makes it fizzy). But this process automatically makes up for that muddiness and forces it into the EQ of Devy's tone. 'sawesome.

Yeah, this technique has unlimited possibilities. In case you didn't know this is a convolution process. It's the same process that some high end plugin manufacturers use. They just have more math involved... algorithms that calculate the exact eq-curve and dynamics of how you turn a knob etc. Luckily guitar tones are simpler than that. :D

I only use real amps for recording. But for song writing I rely on amp sims a LOT... and yes... it's always the cab stuff that sounds crappy. I might take the stems of some of our proper recorded tracks, and make IR's of them, so I can have our "album tone" pretty much when playing. Good tutorial!

Well you most likely did something wrong. :) Usually it's all about people not understanding how Ozone works. Do you know how to take snapshots with Ozone and do you know how to reset the Ozone meter inbetween takes? Those were things I didn't mention clearly...

Well you most likely did something wrong. :) Usually it's all about people not understanding how Ozone works. Do you know how to take snapshots with Ozone and do you know how to reset the Ozone meter inbetween takes? Those were things I didn't mention clearly...

No how do I reset the meter in between takes

No how do I reset the meter in between takes

Just click the gray area of the spectrum analyzer. So 1) play your clip 2) see a green curve move 3) take a snapshot of it by pressing a letter in the snapshot screen like "A" f.ex. 4) reset the meter by pressing the gray are so the green curve disappears.. 5) do it again.

Hey guys! I just recorded produced, mixed, mastered etc. a new EP for my band Underfield. Guitar tracks are match EQ'd. So you can be the judge of how it sits in a mix: www.underfield.com

Check us out!

Hi Clarke, great tutorial, I have been doing this for a while now, mostly used Curve EQ and TC Assimilator (they do sound different to my ears). Anyway thanks for the tutorial, would it be possible for you to redo one to incorporate the resetting of the meters as it looks like people are getting confused about that. AGain thanks for the effort

Thanks for the tutorial!

Does anyone plan on making these matched EQ IR's for Lepou amp sims for LE456, Lecto, Legion and Lextac? If so, would anyone mind sharing those please? I'm sure there are quite a few here that don't have Ozone or can't afford $200 right now. lol. I would be extremely grateful!
(I generally use Lepou + sims loaded through LAConvolver or Recabinet.)

Tones I'd be interested in getting close to would be Bloodbath's "The Fathomless Mastery" and "Unblessing the Purity" albums, Hypocrisy's "A Taste of Extreme Divinity" album. Or basically ANYTHING with that classic old-school boss HM-2 swedish death metal chainsaw guitar tone -- like Entombed or early Bloodbath.

Not sure if anyone can try and re-create those for me using any Lepou sims?