2008 Albums

After having the album for a couple months now I really like This Old Man and Equilibrium, as well as the entire middle and beginning of the album haha.

Good album that's for sure.

Normally in one year I have trouble coming up with just one album that really blew me off me feet, last year was PT - FoaBP, 2006 actually not one album managed to do that, but in 2008 I already had 3 contestants (Daylight Dies, Textures and In Mourning) and now the new Coldplay has REALLY grown on me as well, what a great album! That's already 4 fantastic albums in 2008 and we're only just halfway with several potentially great albums still to come out (Bloodbath, Anathema and yes, Metallica).

Mostly somehow the odd years produce more great albums for me, but 2008 seems to be the big exception now.

I still need to listen to the new Daylight Dies.

Virgin Black is still topping my list, but I think the new Moonspell might end up up there.

Regarding 2006, 4 of my favorite albums came out that year.

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses
Solitude Aeturnus - Alone
Saturnus - Veronika Decides to Die (Possibly my favorite album ever)

2007, Devin Townsend just took the entire thing with ZTO. What a great theme and album haha.

Haha, Agalloch and Saturnus both had albums that I still listen to constantly and actually listen to consecutively.

I know what you mean though.

2007 was more of that kind of year for me.

As for the Coldplay album, I loved the two single songs initially (Viva La Vida and Violet Hill). For me the album is sort of schizophrenic. I love some parts and hate some. The positive thing is definitely Violet Hill and the calm parts of 42. I wish they could've kept more of the depression that dominates the calm parts of 42 really. The happier parts do nothing for me. The thing that annoys me a bit is the massive U2 influences. Lost is more of a tribute song to them than a Coldplay song. I hope they could mix this new sound up with their old.. they could make a great album based on that.

I just listened to it with my girlfriend...

and

Holy crap, talk about U2 influence. I've never liked U2 except for The Joshua Tree for some reason.

I don't know if I like the album or not, but I'll give it a few more listens.