2008 Albums

well i got to say i really like the majority of Versus now. the 2nd and 3rd track are shit but i really have fallen for the rest of the album.

My list so far looks like this:

1. In Mourning - Shrouded Divine
I have played it the most of all albums released this year and I was absolutely addicted to it for a month straight. Also I like all songs on the album very much. The fact that it's 'only' a debut makes it even more of an accomplishment.

2. Daylight Dies - Lost to the Living
Honestly I didn't expect this album to be as good as it is. Dismantling Devotion was somewhat disappointing for me, it just never really clicked, despite many listens. This album however did click and I keep coming back to it. Also an album with good/fantastic songs from start to finish, not a single weak moment.

3. Textures - Silhouettes
A band I knew and acknowledged as being very talented for several years, but never really got into. And then they released Silhouettes.. Contains some utterly amazing and incredibly intense songs that send shivers down my spine and even moved me to tears on several occasions. But some other songs don't move me as much and are simply 'good', hence this third place. But the great songs ("Awake", "The Sun's Architect") are at least as great as the best on In Mourning's and DD's albums, though stylewise cannot be compared.

4. Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and all his Friends
Also a big surprise, I liked Coldplay, but mainly some individual songs, never really listened to their albums in their entirety. This album is great from start to finish, not a weak or boring moment to be found. Extremely varied, a wide variety of instruments is used, to great effect, adding so much more colour and texture to the music.

5. Opeth - Watershed
Good album, very Opeth. I really appreciate the fact that they have developed again. Still somehow this album doesn't really move me, though I like it and still like to listen to it on a regular basis. Slightly disappointing.

Still looking forward to new albums by Bloodbath, Metallica, Steven Wilson, Keane, Shining, Satyricon..

PS, Unblessing the Purity is not in the list since it's an EP, like it a lot though!

hmm interesting list so far. i never gave much thought about coldplay's new cd. i did enjoy the title track tho. i guess right now my year looks like this.

1. The Grates - Teeth Lost, Hearts Won.
I honestly cant fault this album. all the tracks are just fantastic. no low points. a much fuller and developed sound this time around. can't stop listening to it.

2. M83 - Saturdays=Youth
At least one other person has mentioned this album here. This is like the ultimate homage to the 80s. The atmosphere is just unbelievable and it has such a great variety of tracks.

3. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
This album came out of no where and i literally mean NOWHERE. This far into Trent's music career and somehow he still out does him self. It really slows down towards the end and can be a little jarring but apart from that, wow.

4. Protest The Hero - Fortress
This album is just BALLS, fucking insane. They bring so much to the table. I guess people could pass it off as pointless wankery but its just such an enjoyable ride. that and Rody Walker the vocalist is absolutely amazing.

5. Russian Circles - Station
The best instrumental band IMO. rather heavy at times but it maintains this underlying atmosphere through out. Some of the most unique drumming and use of looping i have ever heard.

6. Opeth - Watershed
What can i say, its Opeth... Another solid album. I enjoyed this a lot more then ghost reveries or deliverance. It isn't without its downfalls.

7. The Haunted - Versus
Having given this a number of listens now i can honestly say its very solid. There are 2 or 3 tracks that are pretty worthless but on the whole they have found an interesting sound somewhere between rEVOLVEr and The Dead Eye. The live recording brings some interesting dynamics as well.

8. Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight
all i have to say about this is Badass. The joker's theme is just so haunting and chaotic. You don't see a lot of soundtracks that really stand out on there own.

9. Mehuggah - obZen
Meshuggah sparked my interesting with there catch 33 album but this went all the way. Bleed cemented them as a ridiculously good band in my eyes.

10. Ayreon - 01011001
This doesn't wow me like it first did but the majority of the tracks are solid. perhaps a little too long. the combined vocal talents of Jonas, Gildenlow and van Giersbergen are a plus tho.

Viva la Vida didn't really move me, i heard many good things about it and i can definetely see the band trying to evolve, but i found it a bit dull, there are many similarities to U2 and that distinctive Coldplay lamentation/melancholy seems to be gone. I won't give up on it though, will give it another try and see if it clicks because Coldplay have always meant a lot to me.

Now it's my time to do one of those cool lists with bold letters :cool:

1. Infinitum - Behold Eradication
Fantastic Death Metal album from a new Australian band. Riffs, riffs and more awesome riffs :)

2. Bloodbath - Unblessing The Purity (EP)
It's an EP but I don't care. My most listened disc of 2008 for sure. Can't wait for the full length.

3. Mourning Beloveth - A Disease For The Ages
A Death/Doom band with a sound beyond massive. They've returned to the sound of "The Sullen Sulcus" and added operatic vocals to great effect.

4. Arghoslent - Hornets of The Pogrom
The riff meisters finally came back and "Hornets.." is just about as good as I hoped for. Catchy and intense as hell.

5. Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine
Aside from some pretty stupid guitar ideas on some songs Warrel's solo debut is great. Awesome vocals, fantastic songwriting and a whole lot of feeling.

These three are about tied on 6th:

Hail of Bullets - ...Of Frost And War
Very cool attempt at some groovy, heavy old school Death Metal. Martin van Drunen's vocals are astounding and the music ain't shabby either.

Daylight Dies - Lost To The Living
Not quite as good as the last one but definitely a quality disc. A grower!

Dismember - Dismember
Dismember keep putting out good albums. Just like the last two cd's it adds a few live set classics to keep the Death Metal train rolling.

So far mine is looking like: (not in order yet)

Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels
Morbosidad - Profana la Cruz del Nazareno
Devastator - Conjuring Evil
Necrovation - Breed Deadness Blood
Opeth - Watershed
The Daysleepers - Drowned In A Sea Of Sound

Now I'm just waiting to hear the new stuff from Witchfinder General, Blasphemophagher, Acheron, Aura Noir, Helcaraxë, and Martire....might be missing a few though.