2008 Albums

I changed my mind after having the album now for some time. I still don't love August, but TDTRWTW is okay. Now it's Patterns that I don't know if I like or not.

PTTWM is a definite top 10 album this year!

Okay, so the new Metallica isn't any where near as bad as I thought it would be. They're back to playing some quality thrash. The worst part about the album is James' vocals. They aren't horrible though.

new mogwai is out. it lacks vocals which is disappointing but after a few listens its a nice step forward. some of there darkest work to date.

new mogwai is out. it lacks vocals which is disappointing but after a few listens its a nice step forward. some of there darkest work to date.

Nice! I've been meaning to check this album out. I've already heard The Sun Is Too Loud, but have yet to hear anything else. How does the rest of the cd compare to Happy Songs For Happy People?

Yeah everyone who tries a little bit does...
It's bad when people judge him just out of the popularity of the band.
There's literally like millions of drummers out there that are way better.
I haven't ever heard him play anything nearly interesting or inspiring

I don't wanna invalidate anything you said there, cause he's indeed not a special drummer at all, but he does have some mega-phat grooves at times, at least he used to. In the past (on Justice for instance) he actually played pretty well, there's some technical stuff going on here and there, on Justice particularly.

He doesn't have a lot of ability technically, but as said, he does (did) have a groove. My point is that drummers often get judged purely based on technical ability, while flow and groove are at least as important i.m.o. Just take Jonas' drumming, technical ability?? Hell no! Groove and effectiveness? Definitely!

Looking forward to this:

alloy_index_cover.gif

SKEPTICISM
"Alloy" CD out October 20th, 2008

Finnish veterans of Funeral Doom Metal Skepticism release their new album entitled "Alloy" on October 20th 2008 through U.S. company Red Stream. ”Alloy” is the fourth full length endeavor by the band following the prior album “Farmakon” released in 2003. On "Alloy" Skepticism further refines their signature sound relying on an unchanged line-up and instrumentation as on previous albums. Stylistically "Alloy" is a part of the same continuum with its predecessors with all elements pushed further. According to Red Stream: "For Skepticism freaks familiar with the earlier albums 'Alloy' will sound familiar and new at the same time. 'Alloy' is crushing, monumental yet beautiful: Skepticism."

Alloy track list:
1. The Arrival
2. March October
3. Antimony
4. The Curtain
5. Pendulum
6. Oars in the Dusk

With the release of Alloy, Skepticism will appear live on the Exorcising the Funereal tour with Pantheist and OPHIS. For information and dates visit skepticism.fi.

He doesn't have a lot of ability technically, but as said, he does (did) have a groove. My point is that drummers often get judged purely based on technical ability

often, but not always.
it takes more out of a groovy drummer to be recognised than out of a technical one.
drummerboy of AC/DC (hey, it´s 5 am here, cant be bothered to remember names this time :)) is awesome.

Hell, I have never heard any great grooves from lars, its just so basic drumming what he does. And I dont think that jonas' drumming have that much of a groove neither, atleast on BM and DO, DoDS have some nice drummings tho part to part.