2009 METAL - OFFICIAL THREAD

i actually thought amorphis were tolerable up until far from the sun which sucked, then eclipse sucked as well despite ridiculous praise and i stopped bothering

I've only heard Amorphis' first EP and first two albums so idk..didn't even like Tales all the way through though some parts were really good.

Skyforger is fucking amazing

The Karelian Isthmus is not. I still have yet to hear Tales, but I have heard one song from the album and I enjoyed it.

replace trve and grym with interesting and powerful or something and that'll be more like it

not that i've heard skyforger

You wouldn't like it; it's in the same vein as Eclipse and Silent Waters.

I enjoy The Karelian Isthmus and Tales From the Thousand Lakes just as much as Eclispe, Silent Waters and Skyforger; but they're all fundamentally different records, and the approach to songwriting and the styles are very different. I like most of Amorphis's discography, with the exception of the later Pasi albums; those just sound like strange mainstream alternative albums.

i used to love it but its slightness became more and more apparent to me, it's assimilated quite quickly and then there's nothing left to unlock. i'm open to the idea that i could rediscover my love for it but i currently feel like i've been there and got the t-shirt where the karelian isthmus is concerned, whereas my favourites feel totally bottomless. maybe it's something to do with how the epic elements and more sinister elements aren't properly layered, the transitions from one to the other feel a bit telegraphed after a while. i suppose i have two issues here; one that it's a bit shallow vertically and the other that it's not always very well blended horizontally (in terms of notes on a stave that is). that it still stands pretty strong on the strength of individual melodies is a testament to their skill in that area, although i prefer the way some of those melodies lurk in the darkness of 'privilege of evil' myself.

I think that's looking kind of deep into it, mainly because I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. In any case, Vulgar Necrolatry is on POE so yeah. VN is amazing.

my penis looked kind of deep into your mom. ok basically im saying the songs frequently lose momentum cause of shallow bits that get boring after a buncha listens. but yeah the last 4 tracks on TKI are the best and three of those are on PoE in even better guises so.

one thing amorphis were totally awesome at back then is introducing songs. the opening 20 seconds or whatever is almost always awesome

I would say they still are.

CoB is probably the most guilty band though when it comes to having a great opening 20 seconds and then proceeding into cookie-cutter melodeath or whatever.

GoD changes his opinions too much. I can never be confident that I'm praising the right albums any more unless they're by The Chasm.

hahahah you're such a fucking faggot, dodensgrav. Sorry I don't follow GoD around like some paranoid devotee with a pen and pad, recording his every opinion, how they alter within the course of daily weather change and the impact it has on my own insecure artistic stances. If anything, you seem more like his lapdog bitch, regurgitating his opinions on everything and how anyone within an opinion vaguely similar MUST be this singular e-persona. But please, do carry on oh poor neglected "intellectual" of tales of medusa fananticism.

prozak uses them loads as well though. but prozaks actually p funny sometimes and if anything takes himself less seriously than every single one of his followers.

btw this amorphis opinion has gradually formed over a span of like 4 years and most of the times i change my mind are from opinions i held when i was like 15 and a bit of a retard so fuck you!!