Album that got you into the Heavy.

Which year was that?

It was 2004. I remember it well because my family was driving from Maryland to Ohio to visit family for Thanksgiving. I listened to Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, and Blind Guardian in succession. I was 12 at the time, so, as you can imagine, I was pretty floored. It's funny though because he gave me a Hatebreed album after that and I thought it sucked.

My dad's collection was all metal and hard rock, so I was constantly exposed to that. Alice Cooper's Hey Stoopid was the first one to make me ask about it and listen to it on my own, and Master of Puppets in the car as my dad picked me up from ~4th grade is what started my first musical obsession. I didn't care much about metal other than Metallica until ~7th grade when I started going through all his Iron Maiden CDs. Before all of that I mostly listened to the usual grunge and pop punk stuff on the radio, not knowing many of the artists by name.

Reactions: CiG
The one that really got me into the heavy?

Killswitch_engage_alive_or_just_breathing.png

Same with me. Although I'm not fond of it now.

Despite Enter Sandman being generic and overplayed I liked the album a lot along with the first 4 Metallica albums. That shit was the first metal I heard, but now I rarely listen to the band at all. I did not know there was music like that and it was new to me at the time. Wherever I May Roam,Through the Never,Of Wolf and Man, the black album was solid shit.

First metal I got into.

Metallica(first 5).
Slayer(early).
White Zombie(Devil Music,Vol 1,Astro Creep 2000).

There's probably some other stuff, but it goes way back for me.

I grew up liking stuff like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, The Offspring, and a few metal bands like Sabbath and Maiden. Then one day a friend of my brother bought over Battalions of Fear and I was sold. This was maybe 98 or something?

My first metal album was Lita Ford's "Dancin' on the Edge" which I bought in June 1984. I listened to it quite a lot until I heard Metallica's "Fight Fire With Fire" a few months later on BFBS (I think it was the "Monday Rock Show") and got "Ride The Lightning" for Christmas the same year - it was like a musical revelation to me way back then. I think I listened to this album nearly once per day for more than a year. (Nowadays it's about once in every two or three years or even less.)

I also liked The Offspring when I was about 9. Pretty sure the Self Esteem single was the first tape I ever bought in 1994. Discovered Tool at age 11, Fear Factory at 13 - 14, At the Gates, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, Dissection, Amon Amarth at 15.

KISS - Dynasty when I was 3 or 4, I can't remember exactly when they bought me the record(around 3 or 4 you don't have a memory really, or I didn't )but I threw it around like a frisbee when I wasn't playing it and was kind enough to play it at full noise before anyone else in my family were awake of a morning. The name of the band though funnily enough might've had a long lasting psychological effect on me. My old man mainly, used to think it was funny teasing me in front of everyone about liking KISS and fuck I hated it.
I must've played Dynasty only in the early 80s until I got some older kids or kids with older brothers to record some WASP, Metallica and other stuff onto tapes.. They were good days! I would sit up way beyond my bedtime back then to hear a 2hour metal show on a local community station once a week. I remember the first time I heard Forbidden was on this radio program and was very impressed.
Then of course there was death metal becoming a thing when I was in my first year of high school. I feel pretty lucky actually when I think about it because I've enjoyed this music since the dark days when mother would wipe my ass after each shit. I'll be 39 in March.

You're not wrong man! I've been acting even more irresponsible the last couple of years than ever and that's saying something! But it works well, especially seeing as though I always only deal with responsible people on a need to only basis and during business hours. I reckon if I looked up the definition of mid life crisis that would be me, but that's someone else's bullshit term I've always not given a fuck.How old are you man?