Am I the only one here who loves IX Equilibrium?

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
I'm constantly seeing this album get bashed and I can't see why. The album isn't perfect (pikachu vocals on track 4 anyone?) but the guitar work on here is AMAZING, some of the best metal riffs ever written, IMHO. Granted it's not BM but who cares? I think that if a death metal band had released this it would have gotten the praise it deserved.

IX Equilibrium is my favourite Emperor album out of their whole discography, they seemed to experiment a lot on this LP, great record!

WNxScythe said:
The album isn't perfect (pikachu vocals on track 4 anyone?
those are KING DIAMOND RIPOFF VOCALS and nothing else. also they fucking slay.

it's a good album, i'm nowhere near hating it, sworn is a really cool song for instance

there's a lot of 80's speed/thrash/black metal in there, people dont hear it because all they think is "huhuhuh trigg'd drums synths and modern production" but it actually owes more to mercyful fate and fucking bathory than either of the two previous albums imo

I never went out and got it. I've heard Curse You All Men, Icaros, and Sworn, and those are pretty decent songs, but I figured if those were the best of the lot, it wasn't going to be that great of an album.

A agree with Erik. People criticising it for moveing away from their earlier sound can give the impression that it's not a good album, when in fact I think it's quite a solid album, just different.

MasterOLightning said:
I never went out and got it. I've heard Curse You All Men, Icaros, and Sworn, and those are pretty decent songs, but I figured if those were the best of the lot, it wasn't going to be that great of an album.
It's pretty consistent. Most of the tracks are on par with those three, except maybe "Of Blindness and Subsequent Seers" isn't very strong

I dunno. It's not awful but not very good either. I can't get into Emperor at all.

I'm kinda indifferent to it. Sometimes I try to get into newer Emperor, but after the first song, I always think "why the hell ain't I listening to In the Nightside Eclipse?"