Anders Nordin / Martin Lopez / Martin "axe" Axenrot?

Best Opeth drummer?

• Anders Nordin

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Martin Lopez

Votes: 124 75.6%
  • Martin "axe" Axenrot

Votes: 31 18.9%

• Total voters
It has always been Martin Lopez for me. But i kinda like 'Axe' drumming on the 2 songs i've heard. Anyway, its Martin Lopez for me.

Lopez. As many people have said, his technical skill-- perfect tempo, ability to go over 9000 BPM if he wants to, etc-- doesn't match Axe but nobody sounds like Lopez.

In studio recording personally I think some of axe's drum tuning is too low. More of a slap, I think Lopez had his toms more distinguishable as far as tuning.

how about instead of a winner takes all vs. thread, we focus on the unique characteristics of each drummer. i'm sick of the "lopez's feel" talk. what is feel? does only lopez have "feel"? wtf?

i'll make a quick comparison. lopez had a smooth and flowing and transitional feel. he couldn't help it, he was only latin. axe has a distinct snap. he seems to be more ahead and on top of the beat than lopez was.

both drummers are fuckin amazing. i think that what opeth stands for brings out the musicians' subtleties...which is an uncommon phenomena in metal music, exposing the "illusion" of elitism that is a metal head's recognition of actual music. thanks opeth!!!!

I love Axe, he's a great drummer... As long as he's not playing Lopez's beats. I don't know how many times I heard him mess up Lopez's stuff the last time I saw Opeth in concert. I was pissed that Opeth signed him, until I heard Axe on the new Bloodbath and on Watershed. He's solid on the albums. Maybe he just not that good live, or has a problem with Lopez's style.

Compare orchid (nordin's first) vs mayh (lopez's first) vs watershed (obviously axe's first) then it's a little more even. Clearly axe's 1 vs nordins 2 and lopez's 6 is a little unfair. So take the first from each so a comparison can be made. But in terms of orchid's drum work vs mayh or watershed's drumming, in terms of just drum work I would probably say mayh, but Watershed has some outstanding drum work, so it's not too far behind, Orchid has some pretty good drum work, nothing amazing imo.

Compare orchid (nordin's first) vs mayh (lopez's first) vs watershed (obviously axe's first) then it's a little more even. Clearly axe's 1 vs nordins 2 and lopez's 6 is a little unfair. So take the first from each so a comparison can be made. But in terms of orchid's drum work vs mayh or watershed's drumming, in terms of just drum work I would probably say mayh, but Watershed has some outstanding drum work, so it's not too far behind, Orchid has some pretty good drum work, nothing amazing imo.

That's a good way to put it. This poll is premature seeing as though Watershed hasn't even come out yet, and Lopez is still seen as the strongest backbone behind the band. First album from each is a good idea and I absolutely love MAYH. We'll see what Watershed brings...

I absolutely love Lopez's work, especially in the slower bits. However, when listening to Opeth the drums have never really stood out for me, that is until Axe joined. His drum work is insane on Lotus Eater, the part at the end is amazing. I saw the band last night in Boston, and Axe was spot on.

who cares there all good!

Axe is very stable, and is always spot on, it seems.

Lopez was at times a little off and it seemed like he rushed through a lot of fills - although this was not the case in his "later years". His drumming in Ghost Reveries is possibly the best I've ever heard - this is coming from a drummer who listens to a lot of progressive music, death metal, jazz, blues etc.

Lopez is a legend in my eyes, but Axe does an excellent job in his stead. The discussion about who's better is pointless. They're both very versatile drummers.