Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

If you want an honest opinion from one of the old participants of this thread, your vocals need a lot of work. You seem to kind of have an understanding but you need to push more from the diaphragm. Seriously they are too weak, you're clearly not putting any effort into them (not refering to how you were all relaxed lol. I hide videos when I first listen since the visual experience affects the audio perception a bit.) Not enough power if you had planned to record them or play live. At least not that well.

Not intentionally being an asshole, I just tell it as straight forward as possible. The whole point is to get an honest opinion after all

Next time you record try knocking the bass down a notch lol. It distorts the whole video including the full range of your voice.

If you want an honest opinion from one of the old participants of this thread, your vocals need a lot of work. You seem to kind of have an understanding but you need to push more from the diaphragm. Seriously they are too weak, you're clearly not putting any effort into them (not refering to how you were all relaxed lol. I hide videos when I first listen since the visual experience affects the audio perception a bit.) Not enough power if you had planned to record them or play live. At least not that well.

Not intentionally being an asshole, I just tell it as straight forward as possible. The whole point is to get an honest opinion after all

Next time you record try knocking the bass down a notch lol. It distorts the whole video including the full range of your voice.

I Appreciate your honest opinion.
And I know what u mean by that, so will work to get it better!
ty bro :)

Btw. U guys know where i can find more Death Metal vocal backing tracks?
That one from above was found on Suffocation's cd, and couldn't find anythin' else.
If som1 could help, I would be pleased :p

fffuuuuu i've been wanting to do growls forever...

i do a lot of choir singing and choral work and i know how to properly sing which helps from what i've heard, but ive always puttered around with growling and can never get it....i shit bricks everytime i hear that one scream ( you all know it) in cancer of the soul, or whenever i listen to christian alvestam or mikael. i don't expect to be as good as that anytime soon but i just want to be able to do it...same deal with my best friend but like two years ago he figured it out and now he kicks ass at it...i can SOMETIMES get a really crappy one that sounds ok, but it's not loud at all, i just don't get how to project it or use the diaphragm to make noise, it's just like a shitty whisper....gahhhh

i usually do exercises and drink water and warm up before i try but still even after all that its crap and i don't see much progress.

You don't need to add "throat" to make it louder. Most of my growl comes from the chest/diaphragm area.

I shouldn't even be posting this since its old and it almost feels redundant (posted the full cover here a couple years ago), but just to give a short example of how it comes out for me I'll throw a sample on here. Plus some of you new guys might want to hear it *shrugs shoulders*, not much else to post around here at the moment. My buddy did the light stuff at the beginning, I was the growler. Mostly mid range stuff nothing too deep here

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/iz vocals!.mp3

well i am just making normal voice as growl for perfect growl
some people say "your voice should be inherited and normal voice should be like growl from birth my friend is having like growl voice (actually his having multiple vocals by birth) but he hates metals and want to sing like classicals:lol:

Hi,

I have a question about growling...
A few days ago I started growling again, I know how to not hurt my throat and so I was practising about 2 - 3 hours without any pain but also without any good results.Today I practised again, and after about an half hour - 45 minutes I finally got it the way I wanted it...but then I took a small break to play some guitar ( half hour or so ) and when I started growling after that small break, I lost it again ( well not entirely, I could go deeper and higher but it just didnt sound exactly the way I wanted it to, how it sounded before the small break )
I used to be in a band and I had the same thing every rehearsel, after an hour of just trying to growl my growls were pretty nice but in the beginning of the growling it just plain sucks...

Now, I was wondering if there is a way to get my growls good without having to try growling for a half hour - hour ?
When you growl in a beginning band, you can't afford to have to "warmup" for such a long time because when you go on stage, you will only have a half hour setlist...

Thanks in advance for the help :)

you can try to do basic warm up exercises. i sometimes (should do this all the time really :p) sing a bit, stretch my neck and tounge/"air kiss".
eating a hot meal before helps, and of course, drinking water in between the singing/growling. having a warmed up body is good as well.

Hi. I just stumbled upon this thread and have to say that it is absolutely fantastic.

I've been growling for almost two years now, but I took about a 2 or 3 month hiatus and just got a fancy shmancy microphone yesterday and figured I wanted to re-try screaming.

I'm more into high's than I am low's. I guess my desired scream would be a Mikael Stanne type scream, which I would consider low-mid. How can I achieve this? I know all about diaphragmic breathing and tensing up the bottom of the throat and such, but I just can't seem to get the tone I'm looking for.

Here are two samples of my screams for you, full songs and everything!

PS: When I recorded these two my throat hurt quite a bit--something that I have never had any problems with. What can I be doing wrong?

Ignore the shitty intro scream on this one, lol :p

Last edited by a moderator: