Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

does anybody know why the fuck my growl's sounds false :s
after 2 days of not growling e began back and it sounds false.. and i can't seem to get it away

Qth said:
This might help
http://xscenesterx.org/Tony_Bullard_-_Metal_Vocal_Tutorial.mp3

EDIT: Ok just to clear som shit up, this isnt me! I cant growl at all! Just found the clip online and thought it might help a few newbies. :dopey:

hahahaha, i cant believe none of ya paid attention to what he sung in this clip?

"christ is not a fashion fading away"... lmfao

ok, so u google this guy and it turns out he's in a christian band...
so wait...what do we got here?!? a christian teaching the tecnique of death metal vocals? literally, helpin kids to speed up their ability to growl, so they can write satanic/occult/antichristian/gore/death lyrics!!! hahaha, now thats a SIN..... he's goin to hell!

Blakkheim said:
hahahaha, i cant believe none of ya paid attention to what he sung in this clip?

so wait...what do we got here?!? a christian teaching the tecnique of death metal vocals? literally, helpin kids to speed up their ability to growl, so they can write satanic/occult/antichristian/gore/death lyrics!!! hahaha, now thats a SIN..... he's goin to hell!

Simply amazing. LOL

Blakkheim said:

:lol:

Blakkheim said:

Haha! I never noticed that!

So... learning how to growl eh?

Well, growling is quite easy when you know how to do it, but your first step would be to get yourself a drink, this could essentially be anything, juice, water, coke, beer, or even better: milk with honey (tea with honey could also work). Drink this when practicing and you won't hurt your throat that much.

Second, you should clear your throat, grunt... this may sound silly, but don't worry, I'll get to the cool stuff right now, when you've cleared your throat and found the technique that gives the best sound: open you mouth...

You've got yourself a growl

Try growling some words, check if your growling works better if you're using a lot of air or only small amounts, and use your natural tone, don't go high or low just yet, you've got to learn how to use your stomach first.

Now, try growling when you tighten your muscles in the tummy, works a lot better right? A lot more compressed and nice. when you've been trying this for a while you'll see that you can hold your growl a lot longer and it sounds better.

Now for the grand finale you should find a band with a vocalist that sounds almost like you do, use the same tones that you can do, I found Dance of December Souls quite nice there, tried some Opeth later, and that's what I use now

One last thing: If it hurts: stop. Your throat will take time to get adjusted to this new form of use, the muscles in your throat is going to hurt like hell from the abuse if you go at it for too long. practice one song a day until you're completely comfortable with growling, and find your own style, find where you sound the best, this is what you should be focusing on, because that's what hurts your throat the least.

Actually milk is only good for short term...in the long run it kind of fucks things up. Tea and honey however is good. But mostly just water...

Haha and I just noticed you said beer too. Erm. Alcohol of any sort is not good for your growl, and you shouldnt even growl at all after having a decent amount of it. Doing so is not good for your voice.

Blakkheim said:

:lol:

Lol I thought it said

"christ IS a fashion fading away"

lol, thats funny

Nightmares Made Flesh said:
So I got into Opeth about two or three years ago, which lead to the discovery of Bloodbath. Since then, I have delved even further into the realm of death metal, and I am absolutely hooked on this genre.

I have been trying to find ways to construct a deep death metal growl, and I just cannot do it. People constantly say to "use your stomach" for the best results, but apparently that is something that is easier said than done, as I just can't seem to pin this technique down. I try, I try to push air as hard as I can, but apparently I'm doing something wrong, because I always end up with a sore throat instead, and really nothing worthwhile to show for it. I realize you're not supposed to use your throat, but although I try not to, I always end up doing so anyway.

What are some tips you guys can give me? I have listened to all of the audition tapes that you people have posted, and it is depressing as hell that I cannot achieve that level of skill. Am I trying too hard, am I not trying hard enough? What am I doing wrong, and what am I not doing right?

well man, i'll share something that worked for me: did you see the movie "the Shinning"... you know, that one where Jack Nicholson acted in??... well, remember where his son was freaking out and was saying: "redrum, redrum..."

well, that's it, try to make that same voice (in the beggining it won't come out as loud as you might think), but keep practising it by pushing air with your lungs constantly... increasing the amount of air... and before you noticed you'll be able to sing like Mikael Akerfeldt and also some other voice styles (such as the whole range of black and death metal)

:headbang:

Blakkheim said:

Did you google him cuz you were interested in hireing him for the job? lol, he might be christian but he's a sick fucking growler

Dseven said:
well man, i'll share something that worked for me: did you see the movie "the Shinning"... you know, that one where Jack Nicholson acted in??... well, remember where his son was freaking out and was saying: "redrum, redrum..."

well, that's it, try to make that same voice (in the beggining it won't come out as loud as you might think), but keep practising it by pushing air with your lungs constantly... increasing the amount of air... and before you noticed you'll be able to sing like Mikael Akerfeldt and also some other voice styles (such as the whole range of black and death metal)

:headbang:

This kind of growling doesn't sound as good tho, i like the full force growl....altho doesn't mikael growl like this? If so, he's the only one i've heard that can pull it off properly. I've heard to many people do it and they suck

Don't scream, use the back of your troath... like a deep growl, that takes a lot of practice... and after every song drink cold water... learn techniques to warm up your troath too... That helps a lot!