anybody else afraid that they will stop listening to metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or perhaps said individual has tried to get into almost all other styles of music (jazz, classical, pop, even rap), but they failed to engage him as metal does.

Quit assuming someone is automatically doing something out of lack of self esteem or lack of adventure. Maybe someone really does love metal that much.

Besides, within metal, there are so many avenues to take. Classical metal? Listen to Profanum. Jazz style metal? Listen to Cynic, Pan Thy Monium. Pop metal? Listen to DImmu, In Flames or CoB. Black, death, doom, industrial, metalcore, thrash, noise, folk, the possibilities are endless and all are different. It does not matter that they fall under the same umbrella.

For the record, I do enjoy some world music and traditional folk.

I wasn't assuming anything actually. I was wondering. If you really love metal that much that it's the predominant style you want to listen to for your whole life, then good for you. If most other styles of music failed to engage you, then fair enough. I have many friends that are that way. But please don't try to tell me that you're musically adventurous if you listen to one style your whole life. I realise there are a bunch of subgenres within metal, but that's the case with most styles of music. Listening to everything from black metal to industrial doesn't exactly make you musically adventurous when you consider how many styles of music and subgenres are out there.

My original issue was with the whole notion of being 'true metal'. It seems that if one conforms to a set of rules and never strays from the metal path then this is a good thing and you can be truly respected in the metal scene and call yourself a 'true metal fan'. If you stray from this path at all or enjoy something that doesn't fit the metal criteria then you aren't 'true metal'. It's ridiculous, and it's limiting.

There's good trance?

The only techno albums I have are the Fight Club soundtrack and the Red Alert soundtrack.

B00011RFBU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There is no good trance.

Presumptuous much? Go listen to some trance first before you start talking out of your ass.

I wasn't assuming anything actually. I was wondering. If you really love metal that much that it's the predominant style you want to listen to for your whole life, then good for you. If most other styles of music failed to engage you, then fair enough. I have many friends that are that way. But please don't try to tell me that you're musically adventurous if you listen to one style your whole life. I realise there are a bunch of subgenres within metal, but that's the case with most styles of music. Listening to everything from black metal to industrial doesn't exactly make you musically adventurous when you consider how many styles of music and subgenres are out there.

My original issue was with the whole notion of being 'true metal'. It seems that if one conforms to a set of rules and never strays from the metal path then this is a good thing and you can be truly respected in the metal scene and call yourself a 'true metal fan'. If you stray from this path at all or enjoy something that doesn't fit the metal criteria then you aren't 'true metal'. It's ridiculous, and it's limiting.

...and was not what I indended when I said "true". But we already covered that.

But there is the danger of being just as guilty as a narrow minded metalhead for thinking yourself superior because of the diversity of music you enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.