anybody else afraid that they will stop listening to metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not afraid about me. Though my girlfriend hates it I still listen to it. I won't care if people will say that listening to metal is immature when I will be a grown up man. Even if it would affect me in some way I would still listen to it.

No, I really doubt it, I may get to the point that I actually start liking the softer/melancholic side of Metal but I don't see myself leaving it at all, I've enjoyed getting into the morte extreme side of Metal and it's basically all I listen to and certain bands I really used to be into have less plays from me like Slipknot, Lamb of God, Pantera, Mudvayne, Slayer as well, not that I don't like them, it's just I hear too much good extreme metal for me to really get into less extreme metal again, perhaps I will someday though.

No. Many, if not most people listen to the music they grow up with for life. The reason you don't see 60 year old metalheads, is that metal wasn't around yet when they were growing up, and even 50 year olds didn't have much metal around to chose from when they were growing up. I know that there are plenty of metalheads in their 40s, and even more in their 30s. I just turned 30, and I love metal more than ever. As someone already mentioned, it is a very small portion of the population at any age that listens to metal. Besides, I don't think metal is any more "youthful" than other modern forms of music such as hip hop or indie. It's not like you start listening to Frank Sinatra once you hit a certain age.

It's not like you start listening to Frank Sinatra once you hit a certain age.

Dave would start tomorrow if he thought it would help him make more money or have a chance with a girl. That's why he's afraid he'll drift away from metal - he doesn't think he'll be able to listen AND make stacks of cash.

If you're 18 and already thinking about how you're not going to listen to Metal anymore in 8 years because it's "for kids," then 1) you don't really understand Metal and 2) you might as well stop listening to it now and stop being a faggot, because you're obviously more concerned with how you're perceived than how you actually are.

I am really afraid that metal is going to fade away within 3-4 years for me. Especially when I go into the business world. I will probably still listen to maiden and metallica, but I can't imagine myself listening to nile or morbid angel at age 26. anybody else feel the same way?

I think that's a dumb reason to stop listening to metal. That just seems really weak to me. You should stop being such a pussy. Maybe you should stop listening to metal right now. I don't want people like you listening to this music.

Seriously Dave, what the hell. I think perhaps this is part of a bigger issue with you. I think you need to tone it down with the future planing.

It is all well and good to prepare for your future and have an idea of what you may want to do, but I think you are taking it a step too far. You need to stop trying to analyze every part of your future to the point where you are questioning what music you will listen to, and worry about/enjoy the present a little more.

Because right now, in the present, you sound like a fool.

Why would someone be afraid that their musical tastes will eventually change? If I stop listening to metal it will be because I don't like it any more, so why would I care?

almost 30 years old, full time job, full time husband and about to be full time father. metal has never been so important to me.

it is not something that passes the time. it is part of my lifestyle.

I'll always listen to Metal in some form or another. No doubt my tastes will broaden but that doesn't necessitate leaving metal behind.

In the movie Metal: a Headbanger's Journey Rob Zombie says something very similar to that. He says that unlike many genres, Metal is a lifestyle music. You are either part of it/understand it or you aren't/don't.

But look how popular metal was, and then wasn't. Where are all those people that are my age that should love metal? You just don't find that many. Yes there are some of us, but not nearly as many as there were in the mid-later 80's. So what that says to me is that not every metal fan is really a true metal fan. Maybe a lot of people get into it for the trend or the rebellion or from peer pressure or because of someone they think is cool or whatever. I am not really sure. I can't really understand because I used to like it, and I still like it. How can your taste change that much? I wonder if it really does, or if for many people they were never really into the music.

I hate the notion of the 'true metal fan' tbh. I'd much prefer "passionate music enthusiast" or something. I don't think listening to one style of music predominantly for your whole life is a good thing at all, and I wonder whether someone who does so does it because they really love the style or whether they are scared of change and get stuck. I got bored with metal in my mid twenties and started listening to all sorts of other music, but that certainly doesn't mean I was never really into metal. I've always been extremely passionately into music, no matter what genre I was loving or discovering at the time.

What Dave has shown with this thread is that he's not passionate about music at all. And what Dave shows in general is that he's not really passionate about anything. His taste and preferences and opinions change at the drop of a hat. He is more concerned with his perception from an outside perspective than anything, hence the bodybuilding fixation. I read this thread and it really made me feel sorry for the guy. He gets off on people telling him he's a moron. Why else would he start this thread?

I hate the notion of the 'true metal fan' tbh. I'd much prefer "passionate music enthusiast" or something. I don't think listening to one style of music predominantly for your whole life is a good thing at all, and I wonder whether someone who does so does it because they really love the style or whether they are scared of change and get stuck. I got bored with metal in my mid twenties and started listening to all sorts of other music, but that certainly doesn't mean I was never really into metal. I've always been extremely passionately into music, no matter what genre I was loving or discovering at the time.

what is "tbh"?

I understand, and when I typed "true" I considered the things you are saying, but what I meant is turly a fan of metal music. Not exclusively or with some warped devotion, and not the metal lifestyle either. But just that deep down the person actually loves metal music...and I AM speaking of the music. I have always liked other things as well, and have ventured into different styles, but Metal has been the one genre I favor. It's the music I like 100's of bands in. Usually with other genres I end up finding a band or two I like. I have liked Oingo Boingo since I heard them in the early-mid 80's. Same with Return to Forever (jazz/fusion). I just don't see me dropping ANY of the music I have come to love.

What Dave has shown with this thread is that he's not passionate about music at all. And what Dave shows in general is that he's not really passionate about anything. His taste and preferences and opinions change at the drop of a hat. He is more concerned with his perception from an outside perspective than anything, hence the bodybuilding fixation. I read this thread and it really made me feel sorry for the guy. He gets off on people telling him he's a moron. Why else would he start this thread?

Good post. I got out of metal in my early 20's myself. But after 5 years or so I found I really missed it and so I started listing to it again... since then I've been hooked all over again. Getting out of metal in the first place was good for me because since I was no longer trying to be a "true" metalhead I let myself listen to all sorts of things. Now I just listen to what I like though I listen to metal on a more regular basis then anything else. :cool:
Will I grow out of it? Who cares really? I like it now so why not listen to it now?

what is "tbh"?

To be honest.

I understand, and when I typed "true" I considered the things you are saying, but what I meant is turly a fan of metal music. Not exclusively or with some warped devotion, and not the metal lifestyle either. But just that deep down the person actually loves metal music...and I AM speaking of the music. I have always liked other things as well, and have ventured into different styles, but Metal has been the one genre I favor. It's the music I like 100's of bands in. Usually with other genres I end up finding a band or two I like. I have liked Oingo Boingo since I heard them in the early-mid 80's. Same with Return to Forever (jazz/fusion). I just don't see me dropping ANY of the music I have come to love.

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation. I did go through a couple of stages when I hardly listened to metal at all, when I got into funk/jazz/fusion and when I got into electronic music. I love immersing myself in a new genre, it's like that feeling when you discovered metal all over again. But I knew metal would always be there to get back into when I felt like it.

people are misunderstanding me. I don't give a shit what other people think, I go to parties with a suffocation shirt that reads "pierced from within", LOL I'll wear slayer, nile, morbid angel and metallica shirts anywhere.

I just think I may end up losing interest in it because it will seem immature/childish to me as I grow up.

As much as I love metal now, I can't deny the cheesiness of many bands as well as entire subgenres in metal. I just don't know if it will appeal to me when I am 28 or 29 (and my perspective in life has undertaken a dramatic change from 18 to 29)

However, I would NEVER stop listening to metal because of what others think. I don't give a shit about that now, why would I give a shit about that later on?

Status
Not open for further replies.