Bands that have sold out?

Again, all of this reads as if you're out of anything constructive to bring to the table, so you resort to this nonsense in an attempt to get me to backlash. Very 4th grade. Sorry to disappoint.

SXJ: So what constitutes music to you? The origins of tribal music are exactly the kind of elements rap possesses: A simple beat and a voice, or many voices, which may or may not "sing" in a key. It's very ancient.

Drats, foiled again!:err:

Dude, you are delusional.:loco:

Your bloated ego is almost amusing.

Right, cause you think that I'm describing myself, while I think it's equally ironic that you're laughing at my apparently accurate description of you both. We're talking past each other. I hope everyone else is getting a chuckle out of this. Seriously talk to me on IM.

Schenkadere, you only feel threatened by my "ego" because I'm confident in my opinions and the evidence that precedes them. I put it right out there, and unable to do the same, your defensive reflex is to assault my (from your perspective) condescending attitude and curl up into a metaphorical ball, instead of facing it. I presented a position about bands selling out. Let me know if you have anything to say about that, k?

SXJ: So what constitutes music to you? The origins of tribal music are exactly the kind of elements rap possesses: A simple beat and a voice, or many voices, which may or may not "sing" in a key. It's very ancient.

Well maybe I dont know but we did at least evolve out of it centuries ago

rap can be considered an art form, like any spoken word but its got little in musical form and Im talking about "rap" itself not songs or groups that have incorporated other musical elements, like a sung chorus or instruments.... Im talking strictly the rap part of the thing. To me... clever and interesting for a handful of origional artists but now after two decades and thousands of "artists", eh, I dont know, just not for me.

all the nasal singing grew old too, like what... 15 years ago ?

still it always boils down to a matter of personal taste and what people have fun being involved in.

Music is nothing more than a combination of sound waves that seem to have some sort of identifiable rhythm or pitch. Whether or not we like it, a lot of things can be considered Music. Stomp! is music also. You know, those guys that bang on the pipes and trash cans with basketballs and broom sticks and shit? That's still music, even though it has no real instruments. Yay me.
Right, cause you think that I'm describing myself, while I think it's equally ironic that you're laughing at my apparently accurate description of you both. We're talking past each other. I hope everyone else is getting a chuckle out of this. Seriously talk to me on IM.

Schenkadere, you only feel threatened by my "ego" because I'm confident in my opinions and the evidence that precedes them. I put it right out there, and unable to do the same, your defensive reflex is to assault my (from your perspective) condescending attitude and curl up into a metaphorical ball, instead of facing it. I presented a position about bands selling out. Let me know if you have anything to say about that, k?
Woo!! Score one for Ken!!

I often hear that rap requires no skill. I present the alternative, that rap requires an extensive vocabulary in order to rhyme words with the correct number of syllables, at a speed unheard of in vocal music (consider it the shred of voice), and still create a clear story. Or if we dumb it down to the least skilled, it takes a good enough memory to memorize all the lines you wrote out and carefully planned or looked up, and the presence of mind to say them pretty fast without messing up once. Many are quick to say "anyone can do that!" I'll be the first to honestly say I cannot, and I respect people who can. No delusions and no ego, that some people are apparently constructing from my posts.

Music is nothing more than a combination of sound waves that seem to have some sort of identifiable rhythm or pitch. Whether or not we like it, a lot of things can be considered Music. Stomp! is music also. You know, those guys that bang on the pipes and trash cans with basketballs and broom sticks and shit? That's still music, even though it has no real instruments. Yay me.

Woo!! Score one for Ken!!

I see where you are coming from but do they deserve to make alot of money from it when there are so many struggling artists who can't make a living because it's not the hip music of the day? Some of these people practice 6 hours a day and where does it get them, i know some of these people and they are very talented but dissolusioned, and can you blame them?

Threatened? Christ, that's ridiculous...it's a silly little internet message board...metaphorical ball...that's rich. You have a strange, distorted vision of what happens here. It's supposed to be enjoyable, not confrontational yet you assault people with your "confident opinions". I don't think anyone with a grasp on reality really cares that much...certainly not as much as you.

Meedles...seriously, talk to him on IM...geez, what is with this guy? Dude, if this wasn't so important to you, why would you need a private discussion? Lighten up and try to find some enjoyment bonding with people who have common interest as opposed to consulting your thesaurus to post your rants.

Whatever, dude...you know everything.

I see where you are coming from but do they deserve to make alot of money from it when there are so many struggling artists who can't make a living because it's not the hip music of the day? Some of these people practice 6 hours a day and where does it get them, i know some of these people and they are very talented but dissolusioned, and can you blame them?

Oh cry me a fuckin' river. Life isn't fair, learn to deal with it.

Jesus christ this thread sucks balls.

Honestly, tough luck. That's just how it goes. You'd never make any money as a rapper in the 20's, or a boy band in the 70s. Like I've been trying to argue to the knuckleheads, good music and popular music aren't synonymous. They aren't asynonymous either, some talented bands do get famous. So they're unrelated, and you just have to deal with whatever times you live in.

Threatened? Christ, that's ridiculous...it's a silly little internet message board...metaphorical ball...that's rich. You have a strange, distorted vision of what happens here. It's supposed to be enjoyable, not confrontational yet you assault people with your "confident opinions". I don't think anyone with a grasp on reality really cares that much...certainly not as much as you.

Meedles...seriously, talk to him on IM...geez, what is with this guy? Dude, if this wasn't so important to you, why would you need a private discussion? Lighten up and try to find some enjoyment bonding with people who have common interest as opposed to consulting your thesaurus to post your rants.

Whatever, dude...you know everything.
I wish I knew everything. And thanks for the vocabulary compliment.

No, the reason I want to talk to him on IM is because unlike a forum, it's closer to a normal form of conversation and these kind of confrontations, misunderstandings, and talking past each other would be less likely.

Sorry bud but the world is not always enjoyable, and if I see someone present as 'fact' something I feel is in total error, I will contest it. I'm not one to support ignorance in any fashion, and my zeal for truth and open, logical debate apparently intimidates others at times.

Piss off doomsday, i wasnt talking to you. You are an ignorant arrogant shit!!!

:rolleyes:
I get it, you're trying to drag me into an argument like the others because you feel left out. That's cute. And it's cute that the one who can say "all rap is lack of talent" is calling me ignorant. And just so we're clear, i'm not arguing in favor of rap being good or bad, and i'm not saying everything is gold. I'm simply arguing against the blanket statement that you're making that it is completely devoid of talent.

And it's a public forum. you were talking to me. Next time please address everyone except me if you want me to ignore your post and not point out how much of a whiny little girl you are being.

:rolleyes:
I get it, you're trying to drag me into an argument like the others because you feel left out. That's cute. And it's cute that the one who can say "all rap is lack of talent" is calling me ignorant. And just so we're clear, i'm not arguing in favor of rap being good or bad, and i'm not saying everything is gold. I'm simply arguing against the blanket statement that you're making that it is completely devoid of talent.

And it's a public forum. you were talking to me. Next time please address everyone except me if you want me to ignore your post and not point out how much of a whiny little girl you are being.

very cute, its good to see that you finally reallised this was a forum ( Praise to you )

Yes they do, because while there are more struggling artists how many peopel do what the dudes in Stomp! do? And it's not like those dudes just go on stage and jam. It takes a long time to figure out which objects sound good with what, and there can actually be an entire theory behind hitting garbage that we don't know about. Just because it doesn't seem like "Regular" music doesn't mean they shouldn't get paid.

understood Ken but many of the rappers have a silky tongue to begin with, then if you think about it they actually started practicing at the age of three, every spoken, waking moment of thier days and possibly in their dreams for all we know. Smooth talking, to me, is no doubt a fairly old, well developed African American trait. As if there was a entire race of guitar players, whos primary culture evolved around the guitar....... come to think of it that would be sterile as shit.

Mark - theres only so many good jobs in the various "ball" games so.......
Seriously, its popular, its a pretty old trend now, many people love it, so it has a large cultural following, thats where the money comes from. By percentage very few hard working real musicians, artists, writers, poets, have made a decent living off music throughout history, the arts are a labor of passion

On the subject of rap. I don't think it is totally talentless [...] Even so, I do think the talent required is very minimal.

I also hate the feeling of self absorbedness that most rappers seem to illuminate.
It was something along the lines of "SLAP that SUCKA" or something like it. I remember all I wanted to do at that point was shoot the guy in the face for being so damn arrogant and self absorbed.

Aren't you sounding hypocritical?