Bands that have sold out?

I don't doubt that, and even if that wasn't the case it wouldn't/shouldn't matter. Again, musicians doing things like that is more comparable to a day job than anything else. A metal guy playing in a cover band doing top 40 country stuff to pay the bills has no less integrity than a metal guy delivering pizzas to pay the bills. If anything, he should be applauded.

I did say that originally....he's got to pay the bills...he probably has a family to feed and he won't do that by recording off beat albums that no one buys except for a handfull of guitarists. I'm not a believer in the term "sell out" either...it's a job. It's tough to be a working nusician. If that's the case, we're all sell outs...how many of us actually live our passion?

I just think GnR suck...wish he had a better vehicle.

I know Ron a little, but I have friends that are really close to him, and I can assure you guys his integrity is 100%. He is neither a whore nor a sell out. He's in GnR because he wants to be, trust me on this.

...and more power to him for that! Definately a better choice than Buckethead (whom I also do like a lot...)

p.s. Get your groceries? ;)

Oh I forgot to mention Avantasia, started off as pretty good Power Metal.

Now the recent stuff has sellout written all over it, this is a slightly materialistic thing to say, but it's too hard not to notice: He cut his hair and started wearing eyeliner and black nail polish. Then also released two albums of pure pop bullshit.

I totally agree with that!!!!

Well, music doesn't get popular because people dislike it (william hung and dragonforce are the exception to this), and when people like something it's because they think it's good. So (stick with me on this one, here's where it gets tough), if a lot of people like something (i.e. regard it with favor or think it's good) it is, by definition, popular. Pretty clear-cut relationship there.

All the textbook definitions don't really mean much if you can't put 2 and 2 together to make 4.

Well, music doesn't get popular because people dislike it (william hung and dragonforce are the exception to this), and when people like something it's because they think it's good. So (stick with me on this one, here's where it gets tough), if a lot of people like something (i.e. regard it with favor or think it's good) it is, by definition, popular. Pretty clear-cut relationship there.

All the textbook definitions don't really mean much if you can't put 2 and 2 together to make 4.

A lot of people can like something that is utter shit because they a) can't formulate their own opinion and just think somethings good because it gets played on the radio or on MTV (which has more to do with record label bureaucracy than talent) or b) are not very discriminating and will listen to anything (or almost anything) or c) both a and b.

on the flipside...and this especially applies to the type of people that generally frequent metal forums...a lot of people wont listen to certain music just because it's on MTV or the radio and a lot of people wont like/listen to something (or even give it a chance) because they are too discriminating and close minded.

The fact of the matter is that nobody is in any position to tell someone else that they are somehow wrong or ill-informed for liking a certain genre/artist/song. You can argue it until you're blue in the face, but the fact remains that there is a direct relationship between something being "good" and that something being popular.

Seems to me I've heard good and bad in most forms of music, and I will listen to anything at least a few times. Yet alot of people seem to like much of what I think is bad, so I boil it all down to personal taste

If the rap in question has a funky groove, I'll listen to it.

I'm even learning some Bob Wills songs to be able to jam with my Steel Guitar playing Dad. Gonna work on some Buck Owens tunes as well... Western Swing is kind of fun.

In a sense, rap is like metal in that the popular stuff sucks but in underground scenes you can hear some really good stuff. I'm not an avid rap listener, but I've enjoyed the little that I've heard.