bands you would love to see at Powerfest

Well, based on Bob's keeing it US criteria to help get things going, they would be a perfect fit, no???

Don't worry, you can catch up on their discography whenever Glen books them. :fu:

I was just giving you shit, Jason. I think they could be on the bill but like Bob said, I don't know about them being a good draw. Now if they were lower slotted that might be another thing. They definitely are in my top 5 in terms of bands I need to catch up on their discography.

I would fully support Jag Panzer.
Rycher...Radakka reunion? Seriously????
At least you didn't say Sphynx!!!!: :)

Yes, I'll defend Radakka to the day I die. I got into them a long time ago, and they were my exposure to more melodic heavy metal, like Queensryche.

To me, Radakka is the best metal band from Chicago, and I love them even more than bands like Novembers Doom and Disturbed. They had an incredible maturity in their songwriting and they really gave some great performances on their two albums. In the mid 90's, they were pretty much THE best local club band to go see, and unfortunately I was about 5 years too young to have seen them.

This is the Chicago Powerfest, and I think it would be very fitting if they could get these four guys to get back together for one more show. They wouldn't have to headline, but an appearance would get ALL of the Thirsty Whale faithful to buy tickets. There have been some very successful Thirsty Whale reunions over the past few years.

You love talking about who will "draw" more. Think about it - the rulers of the Thirsty Whale scene? Or Laceration......

I love Novembers Doom, but come on. ;)

Rycher...
Do not confuse me with Bob.
We have VERY differing opinions of a festival lineup.
He thinks its all about how EACH band would draw alone.
To me, it's all about the overall package.

I would much rather see a lineup of 5 solid B and C level bands, than one A list surrounded by 4 D level bands.

Sure, Manilla Road headlining with 4 other lower level bands owuld be a "Show" and not a fest.
That is certainly not what I am suggesting.

I was just giving you shit, Jason. I think they could be on the bill but like Bob said, I don't know about them being a good draw. Now if they were lower slotted that might be another thing. They definitely are in my top 5 in terms of bands I need to catch up on their discography.

First off, yeah, I know you were goofin. I know I bring them up all the time, but it ain't gonna stop anytime soon. Ha! :)

Second, it has little to do with how well they would draw on their own.
Manilla Road is at the top of MANY people's lists of "Bands they have heard of but never checked out" They are an internet hype band. Having them on the bill is almost the equivalent of a Prog Power oddball that might draw in a fence sitter.

Finally, there are MANY bands that fit this mold, BTW...
I focused on Manilla Road due to them being from the US and their proximity to our area.

Manilla Road is at the top of MANY people's lists of "Bands they have heard of but never checked out" They are an internet hype band. Having them on the bill is almost the equivalent of a Prog Power oddball that might draw in a fence sitter.

Finally, there are MANY bands that fit this mold, BTW...
I focused on Manilla Road due to them being from the US and their proximity to our area.

I would agree with that assessment.

I saw Manilla Road in their hometown of Wichita (as Jason well knows) and I must say it is a DAMN shame that they can't draw as a festival headliner. They are fantastic in every way a metal band could be and they can play for a really long time without getting boring. That said, given that there were several elite doom bands at the one Powerfest I attended l... It would be cool to get some damn doom metal going. Even if it was Chicago doom ala Cianide...who were awesome at MDF and have a new album coming out.

Hmmm US bands...

Colossus
Saviours
Municipal Waste
3 Inches of Blood (Canadian?)
Pentagram
Slough Feg
Radio Moscow

Non US:

Crescent Shield
Spiritual Beggars
Stormwarrior w/ Kai Hansen doing Walls of Jericho