Best Death Metal band

For me, it's Death. Chuck Schuldiner was a mastermind. I love his theory on music theory and how he thinks no theory is good theory. He was also one of the fathers of death metal.

My favourite death metal band changes when bands release albums that top my previous favourite. Before Vital Remains - Dechristianize came out, it was Nile, but anyway.. since I first heard the new Vital Remains, they took over my "favourite" position for death metal. Brutal death metal without falling into the Suffoclone stereotype is always a plus.

gah...that's so difficult! :erk:

Neuraxis maybe, because of thier complexity, technicality and their mind boggling (but extremely subtle) melodic taste.

possibly Avulsed...because they've got one of the best vocalists in DM and their melody is amazing...

Siksakubur because their music is ridiculously chaotic (Cryptopsy have nothing on them) but is still interesting, depthful, and the drumming is godlike.

Psycroptic because of the interesting vocals and the complex yet sparse and colourful arrangements.

Necrophagist....mainly because of the leads and soloing which are refreshingly interesting and thought-out....kinda rare in DM nowadays.

...and Krisiun because of their relentless and uncompromising nature. =)

ooooh, i managed to keep the shortlist fairly short. =D

Demiurge said:
Opeth isn't death metal and neither is Carcass.
Opeth are Melodic Death-a sub genre of Death Metal, any good Metal site has Opeth down as Death.

Heartwork era Carcass was Death, give 1 good reason why it wasn't, it's only the early Carcass albums which weren't Death as they were all Goregrind.

You were wrong on both those things, think before you post.