Best Death Metal band

well i dont know about an all-time best but at the moment my death metal favourites are hate eternal, decapitated and aeternus, i would name a load of melodic death metal bands but im just assuming this thread means normal death metal

Martyr - crazy technical, and interesting well thought of songs (you can really tell when a band puts much effort into their songwriting)
Theory in practice - really technical, and crazy soloing
Immolation - they own!

I don't consider myself an expert in the death metal genre, but I do enjoy it when I'm in the mood....and my favorite seems to be Grave. I never see much talk about them anywhere though. Are they a non-factor to true death metalers?

It is definatly Death. There is no doubt that this band is not only the best death metal band but also one of the greatest bands in History. Their music was so complicated and amazing, and it surpasses stuff that is made even today. The first time I heard lack of comprehension was the day I was enlightned.

Demiurge said:
Opeth isn't death metal and neither is Carcass. Death is quite overrated.

Any topic that asks me to pick one band as my favorite isn't worth responding to.

Profånity said:
Opeth are Melodic Death-a sub genre of Death Metal, any good Metal site has Opeth down as Death.

Heartwork era Carcass was Death, give 1 good reason why it wasn't, it's only the early Carcass albums which weren't Death as they were all Goregrind.

You were wrong on both those things, think before you post.
What do you have to say now Demiurge?
Too ashamed to comment?

I heard some Grave song and I thought it was pretty good but not amazing.

Carcass are gore grind which is a combination of grindcore and death metal.

It's laughable to label Opeth under a genre. Fair enough, some sites on the web say they're "melodic death", but Opeth is so much more than just that - compare Opeth to standard death metal ala Suffocation - there are few similiarities. As for the best death metal band, it has to be Cryptopsy. "Blasphemy Made Flesh" and "None So Vile" are so good, it's almost embarassing.

MURAI said:
Carcass are gore grind which is a combination of grindcore and death metal.
WRONG!
Reek Of Putrefaction and Symphonies Of Sickness are Goregrind,

Heartwork, Necroticism and Swansong are Death Metal.

Don't know much about the other Carcass albums.

Heartwork era was definitely Death Metal..

henrikmain said:
It's laughable to label Opeth under a genre. Fair enough, some sites on the web say they're "melodic death", but Opeth is so much more than just that - compare Opeth to standard death metal ala Suffocation - there are few similiarities. As for the best death metal band, it has to be Cryptopsy. "Blasphemy Made Flesh" and "None So Vile" are so good, it's almost embarassing.
Cryptopsy are stupidly overrated.

Profånity said:
WRONG!
Reek Of Putrefaction and Symphonies Of Sickness are Goregrind,

Heartwork, Necroticism and Swansong are Death Metal.

Don't know much about the other Carcass albums.

Heartwork era was definitely Death Metal..

i agree with you for the most part, i wouldn't say swansong is death metal though...