Best of 2008 So Far...And Still to Come

I haven't listened to that disc in a while. I put it on my ipod last night, so I'll give it a listen again to see if my opinion of it has changed. That and the new Manilla Road are definitely at the bottom of my list

That is a good fucking record. I have an interview with those guys that will be on my blog soon.

Wow your lucky. Do you work for a metal magazine or somethin? I wish I had a job like yours :cry: that'd be so kick ass, man you could even interveiw Metallica if you wanted to could u?

Can anyone tell me if testament have released their new album or not? I wanna buy it but wiki is fucked up I once read its out then in the next minute it says it will be release in 2 months, my friend is telling me that it did came out, this is confusing.

Sabaton's new record, The Art of War. It comes out tomorrow (or today, but I haven't gone to bed yet :cool:). However, their whole album is up on their myspace. Fucking badass. :headbang:

Sabaton's new record, The Art of War. It comes out tomorrow (or today, but I haven't gone to bed yet :cool:). However, their whole album is up on their myspace. Fucking badass. :headbang:

I got one of their older albums but can't remember the title. Got that Prima Victoria song on it i think?
Enjoying the new and self titled record (why do bands do that so late into their career?) for DISMEMBER! They have always been one of my favorite Death Metal bands.:headbang:

I'm in the process of re-doing my top 10 of 2008 list, this means re-listening to a bunch of albums!

While doing so, I finally managed to check out the new Fairytale Abuse, "Perversions of Angel VI." I remember this band from years ago, when they released their "Catharsis" demo - that, along with many other bands helped me get into extreme metal. Good stuff, their new album has been added to my top 10. For those interested, here's their new music video - check them out if you enjoy Graveworm, Darzamat, Vampiria etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean classical/black metal? I'm not sure if I know any bands of that style that make use of raw production values like Veneficium does, but a few bands I can think of at the moment that may be of interest to you.

Draupnir basically plays classical music with black metal instrumentation. Excellent band!

Comédie Macabre is also very awesome. A bit unique, they mix gothic/classical/black metal/visual kei among other styles.

Tyrant(Jpn) - though I'm not overly familiar with them, aside from their latest album. I really like the classical parts, but the music in general could be a bit better.

You might like Sirius. They are similar to Emperor or like Tartaros, with some classical here and there, or at least on their "Aeons of Magick" album. Fantastic band.

I haven't listened to that disc in a while. I put it on my ipod last night, so I'll give it a listen again to see if my opinion of it has changed. That and the new Manilla Road are definitely at the bottom of my list

What!? Voyager is the best metal album I've heard so far this year by far.

Best so far. The ratings may still change but yeah I don't think so.

1 // Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels - Death/Black - 9/10
2 // Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom - Death - 8/10
2 // Manilla Road - Voyager - Heavy/Trad - 8/10
2 // Necrovation - Breed Dreadness Blood - Death - 8/10
2 // Arckanum - Antikosmos - Antikosmic fucking black - 8/10
6 // Abominable Putridity - In the end of Human Existence - Slammy Slam - 7/10
6 // Behexen - From the Devil's Chalice - Earraping Death/Black - 7/10

Do you mean classical/black metal? I'm not sure if I know any bands of that style that make use of raw production values like Veneficium does, but a few bands I can think of at the moment that may be of interest to you.

Draupnir basically plays classical music with black metal instrumentation. Excellent band!

Comédie Macabre is also very awesome. A bit unique, they mix gothic/classical/black metal/visual kei among other styles.

Tyrant(Jpn) - though I'm not overly familiar with them, aside from their latest album. I really like the classical parts, but the music in general could be a bit better.

You might like Sirius. They are similar to Emperor or like Tartaros, with some classical here and there, or at least on their "Aeons of Magick" album. Fantastic band.

I'm on the Veneficium bandwagon as well, so these rec's should be very helpful. Thanks again!

As for best-of-year lists, I'll have my first half of '08 list done tonight.

I just realized I don't have that many metal 2008 releases :/ meh:

The Arcane Order - In The Wake Of Collisions
Meshuggah - Obzen
Heaven Shall Burn - Iconoclast
Venom - Hell
Turmion Katilot - U.S.C.H.

I actually haven't heard anything after at war with satan, so I don't know if the rest of their discography is the same, but I enjoyed it.

Here's my top 5 countdown for 2008 Black Metal:

5. Averse Sefira - Advent Parallax

1238027.jpg

4. Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life

924361.jpg

3. Veneficium - De Occulta Philosophia

1210843922_bezimeni-2.jpg

2. Nachtmystium - Assassins: Black Meddle Pt. 1

1313973.jpg

1. Behexen - My Soul For His Glory

917274.jpg