Black Metal.

What do you guys think about Black Funeral's recent musical output? Quite a hypnotic storm of raw black metal with a kind of industrial air to it.

My friend snatched the only copy of Blood On The Mountain at RRR several years ago before I did...fucken' bastard! But really, I should get around to it.

Weakling are alright.

Xasthur is indeed very good, and it's well-documented that I like Nocturnal Poisoning the best...it's the darkest, most twisted and evil sounding one. Leviathan is great, but really only on The Tenth Sublevel Of Suicide.
I think The Funeral of Being is more evil sounding than NP. It's probably the most eerie album I've heard. The new Xasthur album is supposed to have live drums and cello on most tracks. I think Xasthur's best work is yet to come. All the albums have been remarkably consistent thus far, and Malefic definitely has the drive to keep making great music.

You must not have heard enough Leviathan. There's way too many releases to keep track of, so it's understandable. Make sure to get the material off the splits with Xasthur and Blackdeath. There's a handful of outstanding songs on the demo material as well. "Derision," "The Remotest Cipher," and "Summoning Lupine" are songs not to be missed. Tentacles of Whorror is the least minimal Leviathan work, and the new material is supposed to continue in that direction. I suspect some of the problems with Tentacles will be fixed (varying production quality from song to song, v-drums, lack of coherency). The uber-frequent comparisons to Xasthur aren't all that apt anymore.

Xasthur also is increasingly less minimal. Lazy listeners won't notice all the changes made in the recent releases. Dynamics within songs are much stronger, album flow is getting better as well. Malefic said he was just about done doing splits and EPs, so this should lead to much more focused albums.

Speaking of other USBM, Twilight is recording another album, this time sans Malefic, and with Aaron Turner (Isis). This will either be the album of the year, or a huge flop. Outside of the one obvious Xasthur song, the first album made more sense than most people gave it credit for. Nachtmystium also did really well with their new album, and the earlier work is quite underrated.

I have scepticism with Aaron Turner, in terms of vocals.

His earlier Isis work (i.e. all works previous to "In the Abscence of Truth") have him screaming, he obviously has no technique sorted out for grim vocals. I noticed this when I saw them live for the first time, approx 2 years ago.

However, it seems that with "In the Abscence of Truth", he has learned to do grim vocals properly as the style has changed, he has more strength and sustains his delivery more. Given this, it will be interesting to see how he goes with Black Metal, *if* his work is vocally-involved.

I have scepticism with Aaron Turner, in terms of vocals.

His earlier Isis work (i.e. all works previous to "In the Abscence of Truth") have him screaming, he obviously has no technique sorted out for grim vocals. I noticed this when I saw them live for the first time, approx 2 years ago.

However, it seems that with "In the Abscence of Truth", he has learned to do grim vocals properly as the style has changed, he has more strength and sustains his delivery more. Given this, it will be interesting to see how he goes with Black Metal, *if* his work is vocally-involved.
He certainly doesn't have to do any vocals, with at least three good vocalists already in the band, and possibly four if Hildolf is included in the project. Apparently Turner has been a black metal fan for a long time. Originally plans were set to have Wrest, Azentrius, and Turner form a band, but they decided it would just be easier to merge that with Twilight I guess.

Speaking of vocals, how do people feel about instrumental black metal? I'm thinking about doing this with my band, since I have little know how, and I probably couldn't accomplish much beyond grim whispers a la Velvet Cacoon. If I did vocals, I'd probably have to put them very low in the mix, and basement production values don't allow me to properly edit vocal tracks. Sometimes I'd just rather hear music without distracting vocals anyway, so I wonder if that's a valid strategy.

I think some bands use vocals as an excuse to be lazy. I mean they just repeat the same one or two uninspired riffs in the background with varying vocals on top, you couldn't get away with that with instrumental metal. I think BM is one of the best genres to have an instrumental band in, since so much is down to atmosphere, especially if you're edging towards the more ambient side.