Black Metal.

The New Ruins of Beverast album really disappointed me. It's not nearly as good as the previous one. It's kinda boring.

Yeah I kind of agree with you there. I was going to wait a little bit to post a review, but the album just doesn't have the impact that Unlock the Shrine had. I think one major flaw was the master volume for the album. I can't understand why he had it so low, it burries the music too much.

Also I think the song writing wasn't as strong. There were a few songs that could have ended early without losing anything. Overall it's still an enjoyable album for me, I just had high hopes.

Fixed.

I don't really care what people say about black metal. It is obviously not for everyone, because it is minimalistic and is not going to be worried about sounding nice for a wide audience. Not everyone appreciates that, and that's fine.

Minimalistic? Well sure, compared to stuff we listen to. But remember, you were referring to the people in the world who don't like it. Odds are, if they don't like it they listen to stuff that's even less technical.

It's hard to find people who actually like black metal anyway. My town is full of a buhcn of pseudo-metalheads. When I show them black metal they say stupid shit like "this sucks, Abigail Williams are better" or "is this church music" (on symphonic parts).

Minimalistic? Well sure, compared to stuff we listen to. But remember, you were referring to the people in the world who don't like it. Odds are, if they don't like it they listen to stuff that's even less technical.

It's hard to find people who actually like black metal anyway. My town is full of a buhcn of pseudo-metalheads. When I show them black metal they say stupid shit like "this sucks, Abigail Williams are better" or "is this church music" (on symphonic parts).

people just don't like music that is challenging or daring in any way. They like the same old predictable bubblegum garbage

Fixed.

I don't really care what people say about black metal. It is obviously not for everyone, because it is minimalistic and is not going to be worried about sounding nice for a wide audience. Not everyone appreciates that, and that's fine.

Personally I prefer in that in comparison to the other styles of metal, Black Metal is still reasonably underground. I like it this way - it stops Black Metal as a whole from becoming completely whored like other metal styles have.

Yes, it sounds wanky, but, it keeps things real. Fuck popularity for Black Metal, I want it kept the way it is - confined to those of us who understand it. The rest of the dumbasses preoccupied with their popular bands can fuck off.

Same here. I like my music to be uncommercialized. It lets me know that I'm not a fucking drone. Also that that band I'm listening to isn't full of sellouts. Sure, I'll listen to some mainstream stuff, but I'd rather go searching. Plenty of underground bands have way more talent than big bands.

I personally don't care who likes my music, it could be #1 on Billboard or it could be something only known by 5 dirty guys in a basement. Well, except for close acquaintances because it can be irritating when someone bitches about my music. Then again I'm hardly going to play Code around my mother.

You being serious or sarcastic, Crapples? I mean, why would it suck to be them? Music is subjective. I'm sure a lot of the stuff I listen to would be greeted with scorn or disgust by quite a few people on these boards, does it suck to be them? No. Music is personal. What gives me catharsis, which could be a wall of noise with screeched vocals or a simple acoustic guitar line with a funky beat, might inspire hatred in another, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

^
I agree totally.

But from my point of view, being the big fan of black metal that I am... I fail to see it any other way. Hence it "sucking to be them". I didn't mean anything by it, really. >_> (in other words, yes, it was sarcasm... sorta).

Good post though.

Same here. I like my music to be uncommercialized. It lets me know that I'm not a fucking drone. Also that that band I'm listening to isn't full of sellouts. Sure, I'll listen to some mainstream stuff, but I'd rather go searching. Plenty of underground bands have way more talent than big bands.

For sure, totally agree. I also find that with Metal overall, although more so with Black Metal, its lack of acceptance makes it feel more personal to me. I like that.

And to continue my wankery - I *do* find Black Metal to be elite, more so in terms of how it expresses what it does by its musical characteristics. I agree with quite a number of parts of the ideology, it fits me, and I find the music itself extends along my kind of thinking. Its somewhat primitive nature, to me, is a disguise for high intelligence and depth. I constantly find this factor intriguing, as well as the artists themselves.

You know what I can't stand in black metal? Banshee screams. Bands that use them exclusively as vocals. Bands like Nazgul and Helheim.