Black Metal.

holy god, it takes two minutes of youtubing to find over 9000 bands i like....trying to find lots of good french BM as well as other stuff like this

grim winter
coldworld
gris
pesete noir
mestifera
sombres foret
mysticum
immanifest
mork gryning

etc. etc. wheres a good place to start? and also some mighty fine depressive/suicidal black metal would be sick, or the progressive stuff like

lantlos
odem arcarum
ikuinen kaamos

etc.

gah idk, too much shit out there. any help would be appreciated in trying to sort shit out

Lately I've been listening to Immortal - At the heart of winter. I haven't really given them any attention before, cuz I've been more into slower, atmospheric bm.

Though, I gotta say that that Immortal-record is great. Album art is awesome, and the songs are well-written + long, which always is a plus in my book.

I could recommend Raate and Dolorian for you guys up there.

Raate is pretty atmospheric stuff, similar to Burzum. Dolorian is just great. Both of the bands have a pretty depressive sound.

Right now I am listening to "Det som en gang var" by Burzum. Every time I listen to it (which, by the way, is way to seldom) I feel certain on this: Det som en gang var is the greatest black metal song ever. That's a feeling that strikes me every time I listen to it. Such a great atmosphere in it... What do you guys think?

@failure of threads:

Alcest
Amosoeurs
Defaillance
Mortifera
Monarque

Those are all French or French Canadian bands and they're all good

thanks dude!

Alcest are great, so that makes us three atleast. :tickled:

four ;) I love Alcest, also I just got into Les Discrets, another French shoegazey/metal band, and quite possibly they have the greatest cd cover of all time

Right now I am listening to "Det som en gang var" by Burzum. Every time I listen to it (which, by the way, is way to seldom) I feel certain on this: Det som en gang var is the greatest black metal song ever. That's a feeling that strikes me every time I listen to it. Such a great atmosphere in it... What do you guys think?

It depends on how many bands(or albums) you've listened in black metal that you conclude like that,nice song though.

It's up there.

@failure do you have Miserere Luminis' s/t? It's a collaborative project between Gris and Sombres Forets, really excellent blend.

I like Alcest too --> 5.

its a pretty common opinion but ive always felt the other 2 black metal songs on hlto were better. that song is just a little too long imo