Black Metal.

The new Inquisition album is sexy and all, but has anyone else noticed that in half the songs they have the same mid-paced section with lead guitar arpeggios and the rhythm guitar playing the same melodic chord progression? It works best in the first song, but gets really redundant afterward.

Although I love Inquisition, I feel this has been the case in several of their albums, most notably the newest one, Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan, and Nefarious Dismal Orations

I haven't really been listening to new Inquisition much. Usually when I do listen to it I just have to ask myself why I'm not listening to Into the Infernal Regions instead.

I'm not sure if the 'first album is the best' rule of thumb is true, but I think it's usually the case that metal bands do their best and most vital stuff relatively early in their careers, which I think in large part is because of the way metal music is composed. On the other hand, The Chasm keeps kicking my fucking ass from here to China.

I'm not sure if the 'first album is the best' rule of thumb is true, but I think it's usually the case that metal bands do their best and most vital stuff relatively early in their careers, which I think in large part is because of the way metal music is composed. On the other hand, The Chasm keeps kicking my fucking ass from here to China.

I certainly wouldn't say "first" but definitely early in their respective careers. Albums #3-5 seems to always kick ass. Much more than 5 albums many bands start getting bored, start experimenting, and move into areas that aren't natural for them resulting in either bad, or poorly received (due to preconceived fan notions) albums.

Has the new Lifelover album leaked yet? I hope it is a lot more coherent than the Dekadens EP, which frankly sucked compared previous output. I'm willing to allow for experimentation and trying to get outside of the comfort zone on EPs, but it sounded like a weak try at that even, and the real drums (being one big change) were too high in the mix and quite distracting. I'm hoping they return to the cold precision and consistency of Konkurs.

Depends on how avant garde you want to go. A Forest of Stars (not foresty) are certainly one of the better, new "avant garde" black metal bands to come along in some time.

It seems most avant garde black metal bands these days equate silliness and bullshit with avant garde (see Diablo Swing Orchestra and uneXpect).

Ekpyrosis is another fantastic band to check out

the two classic, mandatory ones to look into are Ved Buens Ende and Fluerety.

I've listened to one of Forest of star's albums and I thought it was fuckin atrocious (perhaps like the grammar here?).

Anyway, listening to Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil. That's some true shit right there. Been uh... getting a lot of albums lately, mostly from Norway. Taake, Kampfar and Darkthrone are going to be explored tonight... Yes. I haven't really explored Darkthrone despite listening to black metal for about a year :p

aka attempting to revive the thread