Black Metal.

It's not really cheesy, but the keyboards remind me of those old NES/SNES RPGs. The music itself is quite good, I must say.

Ha, that's so true,especially the opening to the 3rd track-The Passing of the Grey Company-sounds like something that's taken right from a King's Quest installment. Excellent album, though.

Anyone checked out the new Kroda album? I haven't liked their previous material too much, but the new record is quite interesting.
I love Kroda. Their new albums is pretty good too. :kickass:

can anyone recommend bands in the vein of Leviathan/Lurker Of Chalice

AND NOT XASTHUR

Xasthur sounds nothing like Leviathan or Lurker Of Chalice.
Elysian Blaze
Nortt
Selvmord
Reventale (Not exactly but almost)

Forest Poetry was too raw for me, and I happen to actually enjoy raw black metal. are Ildjarn's other albums as raw as that? or are they better produced?

I think they are all equally raw productionwise.
They just differ in style. The newer (Dorest Poetry and Strength and Anger) ones sound more monotonous and Darkthrone-ish, the older ones had a melodic, pulsating, animalic, earthy sound.
Maybe you would like to get 1992-1995, which is some kind of best of (I normally do not like that kind of thing... but i would actually recommend it. It is good as an album.).

Ha, that's so true,especially the opening to the 3rd track-The Passing of the Grey Company-sounds like something that's taken right from a King's Quest installment. Excellent album, though.

I love that track. That and "Dagor Bragollach" are truly epic songs.

The cheap-o keyboards don't bother me, instead they remind that you can make great music without need of high-tech equipment.

And there's just something about the snare drum on that album. Love it.

Alright i'll get this out first. I hate black metal. BUT. I'm willing to give it a try. Can any of you recommend me one CD that is the best black metal CD?

The best three, as far as I'm concerned, are:

Primordial - Spirit The Earth Aflame
Belenos - Spicilege
Mystic Forest - Romances

However most will not agree with me on that, so who knows ...

Dimmu borgir-purintanical euphoric misanthropia
great b.m. for starters
somewhat "catchy" trax on there

I suppose that's a good album for people who never heard black metal, but it's a slow approach. It's the path I took and it was quite a while before I became a real black metal fan.

Some various doors through which one can enter the black metal room:

Enslaved -- Prog
Cradle of Filth -- Mainstream Slipknotness
Dimmu Borgir -- If you like orchestration in your power/trad metal.
Summoning -- bleh

depends on where you're coming from.

edit: i entered through dimmu.