Black Metal.

Reading through "Choosing Death: The Improbable history of death metal and grincore", I was struck by a description of a death metal fan wearing a "black metal sucks: support your local death metal band" or similar T-shirt round about 1996.

...for you see, gentle reader, I was that man.

fuck dude...you have to be shittin me

for real?

No, not really. But figuratively, I was there, dude.

Although, in '96, I remember watching HB Ball, and laughing at how terrible Emperor, Immortal, Burzum and Cradle of Filth were.

I think Ancient were on the same program - you know, the insane video with the frog thingy and Kim whatshername.

I still think Burzum blow immense chunks mind you.

No, not really. But figuratively, I was there, dude.

Although, in '96, I remember watching HB Ball, and laughing at how terrible Emperor, Immortal, Burzum and Cradle of Filth were.

I think Ancient were on the same program - you know, the insane video with the frog thingy and Kim whatshername.

I still think Burzum blow immense chunks mind you.

I disagree but respect your opinion

I've put death metal on the back-burner for a while as I aim to explore all the territory under black metal's sovereignty, a task that may take years to complete. In terms of listening, one death metal song comes up for every nine black metal songs I play, so I haven't abandoned death metal, I'm just not buying any more death metal albums for a while.

I've put death metal on the back-burner for a while as I aim to explore all the territory under black metal's sovereignty, a task that may take years to complete. In terms of listening, one death metal song comes up for every nine black metal songs I play, so I haven't abandoned death metal, I'm just not buying any more death metal albums for a while.

That's more or less what I'm doing currently, though I tend to have a 2:1 ratio with purchase of black to death.

If I ever make a death metal purchase these days, its usually a band that used to play black metal or has members of black metal bands playing in them.

Behemoth, Zyklon and Myrkskog for example.

Zyklon sucks, Behemoth is great. Both sides of their catalouge, death and black.

Black metal still rules supreme over mostly all forms of music, though.

But there is nothing wrong with a little death metal :kickass:

The funny thing is, I prefer Brutal and Melodic death over trad death or old school death by far. Basically, the list goes:

1.Iron Maiden
2.Black Metal
3.Brutal Death/Grindcore (I'll put these two together just cuz)
4.Melodeath

and basically all other forms of music are equal to me below that imo.

Shining: A gimmick band.

Not bad for what they are, though. I remember taking a liking to them, myself, about a yaer ago. It did, however, not last, for as soon as you see past their facade, there really is nothing more. The fact that they play on being extreme, is quite obvious. Too bad that makes a poor substitute for actual quality.

Well with St. Patrick's Day tomorrow it got me wondering. So many viking and black metal bands in Scandinavia play songs about how Christianity replaced their pagan religion and all that fun stuff.

So are their any Irish black/folk metal bands that write about Ireland's conversion to Christianity?

You have never, ever heard this band in your life. That is the only possible explanation.

I'll admit I've only heard their samples on myspace. That was enough to know that they are garbage. And seeing their influences, Bethlehem, Devil Doll, Opeth. HAHAHAHA .

Personally I don't have anything against them as a band ( I do like Ondskapt ), however I do think that their frontman is a douche poseur.