Black Metal.

I really don't get the hate for Watain. It seems to be just another case of I don't like this band that lots of people seem to like; therefore, they're overrated and I should hate them in order to offset those who like them. Get over yourselves.

And why do people act like Grammy recognition means something?

I never could get into anything after Casus Luciferi, but that album plus Rabid Death's Curse are pretty damn solid slabs of Swedish black metal.

I really don't get the hate for Watain. It seems to be just another case of I don't like this band that lots of people seem to like; therefore, they're overrated and I should hate them in order to offset those who like them. Get over yourselves.

Exactly. They are one the better newer bands.

Watain showed extreme promise with Casus Luciferi, but Sworn to the Dark and Lawless Darkness aren't that special in the end. Still, they are one of the better new bands, despite their lame interviews and getting more mainstream.

My lack of interest in Watain is because their albums have gotten more commercially oriented and easy-listening over time. That and the fact that they offer a weaker version of what other bands have already released and lack a strong musical identity of their own.

I would like to point out that black metal is actually very popular, with a solid fanbase for longevity. But, it just isn't commercially successful so people don't realize how big the genre really is. So why does a modicum of commercial success make a difference? Rallying against a band for having commercial success is really no different from people in the mainstream praising a band for how many records they sell; it's pretty superficial and it doesn't really mean anything. I wouldn't say their music is that easy to digest, certainly not any more than most black metal bands. Sorry but music is a business no matter what genre and black metal isn't really the misanthrope it's made out to be, just the socially awkward type.

sevag00 said:
Basically, you're saying that, you dislike them because they got popular. Typical metalhead mindset.

That isn't anything like what I said. I dislike Watain because they began with a lot of potential and they have deliberately sought to become more mainstream and commercially accessible over time, resulting in a relative abandonment of the original values that made their early music what it was.

Only a comically snobbish listener could call Lawless Darkness "commercial" or "easy listening".

Lawless Darkness is some pretty killer thrash/riff oriented black metal. As far as black metal goes its definitely 'easy listening', just as most thrash influenced metal is (exceptions do definitely exist, but im speaking in general terms), but I find it a bit outrageous to down-rate an album just because a 12 year old could get into it. I find Lawless Darkness to have a lot of power and intensity in every song and this makes it a blast to listen to. Casus Luciferi is definitely better, but I dont resent them for their change in musical direction. I could care less about their portrayal in the media or their "mainstream success" of which admittedly I know little about.

SomeGuyDude said:
Only a comically snobbish listener could call Lawless Darkness "commercial" or "easy listening".

It's both of those as far as modern black metal goes, and a thoroughly superficial experience compared to bands that didn't fall into the trap of commercial pressure.

Der Morgenstern said:
You should not expect much from a poster who basically offers up watered-down Conservationist-esque opinions with every post.

I'm acquainted with him, but we don't agree on many things and I don't know his opinion of Watain at all.

I don't dislike them because of their success. I dislike them because they chose to discard artistic depth in favor of larger record sales. None of their albums have an original sound, but the first two were at least decent slabs of black metal in comparison to the sleek and mainstream-palatable sound that they have now.

Also, I wouldn't consider anything by Watain to show a credible thrash sound. They currently have more musically in common with Storm of the Light's Bane, which is a solid but horribly overrated album.

Watain played at this kids festival here in Australia a bit over a month ago.Soundwave I believe the festival was called...sounded like a pretty shithouse festival.

Also, I wouldn't consider anything by Watain to show a credible thrash sound. They currently have more musically in common with Storm of the Light's Bane, which is a solid but horribly overrated album.

New Watain sounds nothing like Dissection.

I've never even heard Watain.I did read favourable reviews of Rabid Death's Curse and Casus Luciferi in a zine a number of years ago.Have a look at this sorry festival Watain made themselves available for.

Soundwave 2012 lineup:

System Of A Down
Slipknot
Limp Bizkit
Marilyn Manson
Hole ( Cancelled )
A Day To Remember
Machine Head
Lamb Of God
Trivium
Alter Bridge
Lostprophets
Angels & Airwaves
Cobra Starship
The Used
You Me At Six
Devin Townsend Project
Unwritten Law
Coal Chamber
Dashboard Confessional
Thursday
Forever The Sickest Kids
Raised Fist
Dillinger Escape Plan
Zakk Wylde’s Black Label Society
Mastodon
Underoath
Saves The Day (playing Weezer’s Pinkerton )
Circa Survive
Steel Panther
Jack’s Mannequin
Meshuggah
The Sisters Of Mercy
Enter Shikari
Four Year Strong
Black Veil Brides
Madina Lake
Zebrahead
Hatebreed
Biohazard
Times Of Grace
Cky
Street Dogs
Dragonforce
Gojira
Kvelertak
Letlive
Hellyeah
Cro-Mags
The Cab
Relient K
Versa Emerge
Heroes For Hire
Kill Hannah
The Dangerous Summer
Chimaira
Framing Hanley
Watain
Royal Republic
I Am The Avalanche
Turisas
River City Extension

Watain sound like a non musically interesting Dissection. No songwriting skills or really anything to them.