Black Metal.

If it weren't for the drum machine and guitar tone I would be liking that song a lot more. Musically it's great I just don't like the production job. You can tell when a band tried REALLY hard to sound lo fi and nekro but it just ended up sounding contrived. Satanic Warmaster are sometimes guilty of this. That's why I don't like that particular guitar tone. Otherwise I enjoyed it especially the melodic and somber parts.

Does every shoegaze band have to sound exactly the same as them?

That's like saying Violator isn't thrash metal because they don't sound like And Justice For All.

Agreed. Because they are NOT shoegaze, period. They are doing post-rock.

Anyone who disagrees should go listen to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine and then tell me Alcest sounds anything remotely shoegaze.

Alcest is not post-rock...but whatever. They're shit regardless.

Loveless is not the be all end all of shoegaze (its grossly overrated fwiw), plenty of shoegaze doesn't draw that much from it honestly.

Slowdive really don't sound like MBV at all, but they're still shoegaze.

Someone enlighten us to what the fuck alcest is then? Surely some all knowing jackass that graces the board with his presence has the answer.

Yeah I am awaiting. What the flying fuck are they? I have only heard them labeled as post-rock, shoeegaze, and black metal. What am I missing?

Mort do you like post-rock? If so, what are some bands you think arent shit?

Slint
Bark Psychosis
Lights Out Asia
God Is An Astronaut
The Samuel Jackson Five
Sigur Ros
This Will Destroy You

to name a few - i'm not huge into it, but I do like some

Has anyone actually heard the new Alcest by any chance? I listened to it once a couple of days ago and it didn't sit well with me. I'll probably give it another chance here sooner or later.

Someone enlighten us to what the fuck alcest is then? Surely some all knowing jackass that graces the board with his presence has the answer.

Whatever it is, it's certainly closer to shoegaze or even BM than post-rock.