Black Metal.

Hoth is pretty good, at first I thought it was a little uninspired but I grew to like it a lot after repeated listens. Any news on the new Kult Ofenzivy Onder?

Checking out Cosmic Church for the first time. Listening to the full album of Ylistys on youtube. About half way through & absolutely loving it. Definitely going to order a copy.

Uhm, is it normal not to have heard of most of these bands you guys post here.. I've never been into overly underground BM but maybe I'm just a BM noob here. Anyways, I'll put these here:

Last edited by a moderator:
The regulars here have very refined taste. Just hearing Darkthrone and Bathory isn't satisfying enough for us. You could call us tourists, elite, or maybe we just like good shit. And the occasional butt secks. Whatevs.

Is the latest Sargeist any good? I was very, very pleased with "Let The Devil In" and hope to hear at least that level of quality.

Dude I love 'Let the Devil In'. I heard the new one a little while back and thought it was good, but it's gonna need a few more listens until I can really compare the two.

Uhm, is it normal not to have heard of most of these bands you guys post here.. I've never been into overly underground BM but maybe I'm just a BM noob here.

We mostly share obscure stuff, because we all know the big name acts already. I mean, we'll discuss the new Agalloch or Enslaved when it comes out, but we're not gonna spend pages pining over Transilvanian Hunger: that's been done to death.

So speaking of the excellent Sargeist, I like Behexen too but haven't listened to a whole lot of Horna. How does that compare to Shatraug's other bands? Why the hell does Shatraug have so many bands anyways?

Gotta be honest, the 777 trilogy is awesome but my favorite is Cosmosophy; not only that, I think it's a spectacular album all around and one of the best things BAN has done. I'm a fan of the Memoria Vetusta albums and The Work Which Transforms God, but I'll be damned if Cosmosophy isn't just an amazing piece of work.

What makes it superior? Just curious, as I was under the assumption that the 777 trilogy was less black metally than their previous works. Haven't really checked it out or anything yet.

I liked the Sects and The Desanctification, but I remember the last one being the weakest and fairly electronic? I hope Im remembering correctly...But I do remember not liking it nearly as much as the previous two. Ill revist that one soon and see.

But yeah, they had some good shit on those 777 albums. Memoria Vetusta II Dialogue with the Stars is still easily my favorite by them.

If by "fairly" you mean "mostly," I would disagree; but it is definitely slower than the previous two, and features less black metal. I simply find the guitar lines, despite their lethargy, to be incredibly beautiful, and I think the overall atmosphere of the album scores. Lots of the reviews I've seen say it's happier than the previous two, but I don't agree at all. I think you just have to be prepared for something other than black metal; it's more like a weird kind of doomy prog, or something.

At any rate, I just think it's a great composition. And I dig the clean vocals.

maybe im listening to the wrong albums, but i fail to hear what is so great about BAN. nothing really wrong, but nothing particularly right. their second album was decent i guess. twwtg annoyed the poop out of me. i put BAN in the same subpar category as dso.