Black Metal.

I think your opinion has been clouded by seeing so many people rate it so highly, in such an obnoxious manner.

Beherit is fucking evil, and that's all there is to it. Yeah its simplistic music, yeah the mix sucks, but that's what they were fucking going for. You are not the target audience. That is all.

Meh, that's a pretty meaningless adjective in the realm of black metal. Deathspell Omega is fucking evil. Darkthrone is fucking evil. Mutiilation is fucking evil. Mayhem is fucking evil. Everyone is fucking evil. If that's the only thing you have to offer then you are irrelevant.

And furthermore, they aren't even doing what they're going for well. It's dull and plodding music that really isn't that evil sounding. If you're looking for raw, filthy sound, you'd be better off listening to Sarcofago. At least they deliver some killer riffs.

I missed some interesting discussion in the past few days...

First, SMRC absolutely could lose 15-20 minutes with ease. It's like they were trying to preserve a 2LP structure with the prayers starting the A, B, and C sides. Only they didn't have one for the D side...and there's a cover song that's inessential, and the "4th prayer" is super bloated, and one of the other songs is a basically a tribute song...

If SMRC was slashed down to 50 relentless minutes, it would be even better. I wouldn't even cut the prayer tracks. Some of the metal songs are 6+ minutes when they be just as good at 5. I think one of the main reasons people love Kenose and Paracletus is the shorter running times and sense of momentum. Something exciting is always about to happen. (Fas, on the other hand, is full of dumb ambient filler that works much worse than the prayer tracks on SMRC.)

I like some Blut Aus Nord, especially Ultima Thulee, but there are way too many forgettable albums in their discography to compare them to DSO as a whole. I liked Sects quite a bit, but MV II was one of the more overrated albums of the '00s.

I've never been a big Beherit fan, so I mostly agree with unknown's thoughts. I won't judge anyone who digs it. I like some Ildjarn and Bone Awl and stuff that is pretty raw and minimal, but the attempt to intellectualize Beherit is laughable. To say that Engram is the best black metal album in the last 20 years is a pretty insane opinion.

Going back to French metal. SVEST is the shit. Urfaust is great, and so is what they did on the DSO split. Proggy, but also messy and catchy as hell, with cock-out solos. I love these songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Beherit for the same reason that I appreciate The Stooges. They've captured the raw, lo-fi, misanthropic nature of black metal in a way that few bands have replicated in the genre's very colorful history. Engram and DDtM are prime examples of such: the music is simple, perhaps even grotesquely so, but does the job well.

On the subject of the 777 trilogy, Cosmosophy is the standout for me as well. Sects strikes me as more of a discographical synopsis and Desanctification as a sister experiment to Odinist, but Cosmosophy is fresh, relevant, and an entirely unique masterpiece in the catalog.

In terms of French supremacy, I would rank BAN above DSO, both of which are superior to Glorior Belli, which stands above the others. BAN's catalog is without a doubt less consistent, but that is only because Vindsval takes greater risks in his songwriting. In my opinion, a band has to suffer that risk in order to write true masterpieces.

Admittedly though, I need to play a lot of catch-up with the French scene.

Meh, that's a pretty meaningless adjective in the realm of black metal. Deathspell Omega is fucking evil. Darkthrone is fucking evil. Mutiilation is fucking evil. Mayhem is fucking evil. Everyone is fucking evil. If that's the only thing you have to offer then you are irrelevant.

And furthermore, they aren't even doing what they're going for well. It's dull and plodding music that really isn't that evil sounding. If you're looking for raw, filthy sound, you'd be better off listening to Sarcofago. At least they deliver some killer riffs.

Dull and plodding? I can see plodding but if you think they are dull then you are analyzing them by the wrong standards, and missing the forest for the trees entirely.

im with those the crowd that doesnt like beherit. nothing against them, there are just so many more interesting bands past and present

i throw ddtm in the same category as dmds and satyricon: supposed classic bm i dont like

i always felt there was a lot of nonsense on DRAWING DOWN THE MOON, but when they're just doing their primitive primordial thing it's often pretty spellbinding imo. i'd rank it above satyricon but it doesn't hold a candle to DMDS. i used to be part of the DMDS backlash but i find it pretty wonderful these days, beautifully layered and nuanced, if a little bloated in places.

ive tried so many times with dmds i cant even count anymore. i then decided to try lil (i loathe live recordings), and loved it

i don't think it's as immediate and overwhelmingly atmospheric as something like burzum or darkthrone, the appeal is more subtle and cerebral than that for me... i'm inclined to group it separately from the majority of my favourite black metal 'cause it approaches me from a different angle. i get why it's an acquired taste, in other words. although i find all the whinging about the vocals kind of tiresome.

I generally hate live albums, but that's not the reason I prefer DMDS to Leipzig. I just feel that Dead had a more generic and less chilling voice than Atilla.

ive tried so many times with dmds i cant even count anymore. i then decided to try lil (i loathe live recordings), and loved it

Cheers! That's my stance as well. I keep coming back to DMDS hoping I'll get it. Looking at my iTunes, I've given it 14 listens in the past 3 years. Can't say I haven't given it a fair chance. LiL simply captures the essence of Mayhem much better than DMDS.

i don't think it's as immediate and overwhelmingly atmospheric as something like burzum or darkthrone, the appeal is more subtle and cerebral than that for me... i'm inclined to group it separately from the majority of my favourite black metal 'cause it approaches me from a different angle. i get why it's an acquired taste, in other words. although i find all the whinging about the vocals kind of tiresome.

Well they do suck...

I like some Blut Aus Nord, especially Ultima Thulee, but there are way too many forgettable albums in their discography to compare them to DSO as a whole. I liked Sects quite a bit, but MV II was one of the more overrated albums of the '00s.

wot?

I think they lost it a bit with The Desantification and Cosmosophy, but every album prior to those two (and some of the splits/EPs) is great.

I like DsO a lot but albums like Infernal Battles, Inquisitors of Satan (which I love) and a few of the EPs are hardly more memorable than BAN's output.

Just found out about these Darkthrone albums with commentaries, Fenriz is on all that I've heard but I dunno how many Nocturno did.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPJxyYpBJHY]Darkthroneywooo[/ame]

COOL BEANS

wot?

I think they lost it a bit with The Desantification and Cosmosophy, but every album prior to those two (and some of the splits/EPs) is great.

I like DsO a lot but albums like Infernal Battles, Inquisitors of Satan (which I love) and a few of the EPs are hardly more memorable than BAN's output.

Blut Aus Nord's discography is super inconsistent. There are obviously some classic records but there are also a number of clunkers and pedestrian records. MoRT is almost unlistenable and Odinist functions well as a sedative. I don't think much of Cosmsophy either. Even records like Memoria Vetusta II and Mystical Beast are solid, but nothing special.

The thing about DSO since Miko joined they have been just about flawless. Prior to that they were a solid but unspectacular black metal act.

Blut Aus Nord's discography is super inconsistent. There are obviously some classic records but there are also a number of clunkers and pedestrian records. MoRT is almost unlistenable and Odinist functions well as a sedative. I don't think much of Cosmsophy either. Even records like Memoria Vetusta II and Mystical Beast are solid, but nothing special.

The thing about DSO since Miko joined they have been just about flawless. Prior to that they were a solid but unspectacular black metal act.

Agreed.