Black Metal.

Fuck that. MoRT is decent, MVII and Odinist are both fantastic. I enjoy them both more than Paracletus, and Paracletus is the bees knees.

Fuck that. MoRT is decent, MVII and Odinist are both fantastic. I enjoy them both more than Paracletus, and Paracletus is the bees knees.

I definitely agree. MoRT is good, it's just very... strange. Odinist is not bad at all, and both Memoria Vetustas are incredible.

Blut Aus Nord doesn't cater to expectations, which is part of what I love about them. On top of that, I think they're masters of atmosphere, so whether they pursue black metal or industrial/electronic I usually end up being a fan.

Flawless? :lol:

God people really need to get off DSOs dick

Nobody should have to downplay the greatness of DSO simply because you don't get it.

I definitely agree. MoRT is good, it's just very... strange. Odinist is not bad at all, and both Memoria Vetustas are incredible.

Blut Aus Nord doesn't cater to expectations, which is part of what I love about them. On top of that, I think they're masters of atmosphere, so whether they pursue black metal or industrial/electronic I usually end up being a fan.

I agree with the last part. However, I don't think they always have the compositions to back up the atmosphere. Some of their records are really just atmosphere and select "moments" surrounding otherwise uninteresting songwriting. Of course, albums like MVI, Ultima Thulee and TWWTG are excpetions.

i dont get the hype with dso and im ok with that. if they would have stuck to a sound simlar to hirilorn, id be a fan. dont like ban either. only newer bm band that i like that comes to mind is ruins of beverast, but even they're half way to doom.

if i want challenging bm, ill stick with my return to the isle of men, heart of the ages, min tid skal komme, early sigh.

It is perfectly fine to love their music, but to call it flawless is laughable. Even people who like their music IN THIS THREAD have admitted to SMRC having bloat problems...

Like them all you want, but they clearly are not "flawless"

Its a fucking joke to think so.

It is perfectly fine to love their music, but to call it flawless is laughable. Even people who like their music IN THIS THREAD have admitted to SMRC having bloat problems...

Like them all you want, but they clearly are not "flawless"

Its a fucking joke to think so.

I myself critiqued SMRC a few pages ago, so you're picking an empty battle here. I said "just about flawless." Perhaps you don't understand what "just about" means?

But yes, Fas and Paracletus are flawless. Absolute perfect alignment of concept and actualization. However, I would not expect someone with as poor of taste as you to understand those records.

Paracletus is super, but Fas has super obvious pacing issues.

I don't know how anyone could listen to those two albums back to back and prefer Fas. The boring parts of Fas may be "conceptual" but they are still boring and interrupt the flow in a significant way.

BAN's discography has big swaths of inessential material. Even after TWWTG came out, no one ever talked about Mystical Beast of Rebellion, and Odinist and MoRT were not well received upon release. MVII was seen as a return to form for some reason. The legacy of TWWTG and the first two classic albums is a rising tide that brings too much acclaim to everything else they've done.

Rather than pay so much attention to the glut of BAN releases, there's so much else out there. I always thought this was overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
SMRC IS flawless.

If you disagree, in the words of my good friend Oscar...
get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked get fucked

Paracletus is super, but Fas has super obvious pacing issues.

I don't know how anyone could listen to those two albums back to back and prefer Fas. The boring parts of Fas may be "conceptual" but they are still boring and interrupt the flow in a significant way.

I get what you're saying, but I think the breaks in Fas are really effective at creating tension. There's this theme of void sitting at the base of Fas, it's basically the only constant in a record that otherwise consists of constant divergence.

BAN's discography has big swaths of inessential material. Even after TWWTG came out, no one ever talked about Mystical Beast of Rebellion, and Odinist and MoRT were not well received upon release. MVII was seen as a return to form for some reason. The legacy of TWWTG and the first two classic albums is a rising tide that brings too much acclaim to everything else they've done.

I basically agree with this. I don't think anybody would rave about some of those records if you changed the name on the album cover.

Beherit sucks, but that's just my opinion. Mayhem `De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is the perfect Black Metal record. Despite that I do not listen to it very often. Nothing in the genre captures the same vibe and atmosphere of the album, the guitars are great, drums are excellent. It's the perfect medium with production. I have no problem with Attila's vocals either. It is very distinct album. Mayhem is not a good band, they just happened to do something with this album.

What a constructive discussion about DsO! And Beherit in particular! Let me throw in my two cents:

Cent 1: Yes DsO kind of drags... Especially on SMRC. But it's ok - DsO are great nevertheless.

Cent 2: Beherit does not suck. Nor are they anything special. Engram is ok but nothing more. I understand why someone would deem them cvlt and trve but for me Image is Nothing - Thirst is Everything. And there are lots of bands out there managing to slake my thirst much better than Beherit.

And while we're at it (and because I know you are all dying to know my take on things) here are a few cents more:

Cent 3: The new Agalloch sucks.

Cent 4: BaN are extremely inconsistent! MV I + 2 are stellar. The same goes for Ultima Thulee and parts of TWWTG. The rest is easily discardable! Easily.

Cent 5: Yes, Katharsis should release a new album. Now!

Cent 6: I've been listening to some underground stuff as of late, so I take the opportunity to name drop a few great bands for all of you to become thoroughly enlighted. You're welcome!

Akashah
Simple Existenz
Algor Mortis
Sun Worship
Kältetod
Svartidaudi
Ars Moriendi
Wedrujacy Wiatr
Neige et Noirceur
Thrall
Cult if Fire
Dödsferd
Weird Fate
Insane Vesper
Dødsengel
Cultes des Ghoules
Kratein
Woe
Sui Cadere
The Great Old Ones
Finnr's Cane
Furia
Nyktalgia
Ekpyrosis
Mgla
Nocternity
Schrei aus Stein

I think that Odinist and The Mystical Beast of Rebellion are underrated. I'd listen to those over Fas or Paracletus any day. Mort is more or less a soundtrack of sorts. It's an interesting listen.

Lol, never even heard of any of the bans that Kevin listed and doubt I ever will. However, Akashah (lulz gay local band for me), Cult of Fire, Dodsengel, Cultes des Ghoules, Mgla, and Nocternity are fucking fantastic bands.