Black Metal.

Does anyone still remember this? This track is unique to me, unlike the entire album is. The guitar chills me everytime, and the vocals hurt my ears badly, especially when I listen to it on my phone earphones.

Yup, one of the best black metal songs ever. However, I disagree that the whole album isn't unique. Such an eerie and ghostly ambiance with an odd touch of romanticism a midst swaths of decrepitude. I've never heard anything else quite like it.

Check this great footage of Emperor from Wacken 2014. I think they played very good although I prefer Trym I love Faust and it's nice to hear/ see the songs performed closer to the way in which they were recorded. Also, the fact that they performed 'Ancient Queen' and 'Wrath of the Tyrant' is a nice addition. Of course Wacken 2006 was better but that was professionally edited and mixed for an official release so I don't know if we should compare those two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ba-2ag3tgo

Faust takes away many elements of the band's sound but he presents others. The drummer makes a big difference though, no matter what. The 2014 Japan shows with Trym on drums sounded more ferocious and a tad closer to the past performances in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MOG4zKAl1c&list=UUhcVam4Fv9j_mjnUuu5mDzg

Yup, one of the best black metal songs ever. However, I disagree that the whole album isn't unique. Such an eerie and ghostly ambiance with an odd touch of romanticism a midst swaths of decrepitude. I've never heard anything else quite like it.

Damn, that sounds like the exact shit I need to be listening to. I shall queue that up in the player.

Thoth:

Great meeting of the archaic sound of Graveland and the depressive modernism of Ohtar. This whole album is excellent, but I'm particularly hooked to this track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuck, I'm listening to Throne of Katarsis The Three Transcendental Keys for the first time, and it's soooo fantastical. This is what I hear in my head when I think of dark, brooding, evil, ritualistic Satanic black metal. 9/10, easily

Fuck, I'm listening to Throne of Katarsis The Three Transcendental Keys for the first time, and it's soooo fantastical. This is what I hear in my head when I think of dark, brooding, evil, ritualistic Satanic black metal. 9/10, easily

Ved Graven is even better.

Born Under The Master's Spell is a better Mutiilation song, but the above one is great too. I always enjoyed Mutiilation's aesthetic. They were willing to engage with modernity with their imagery in a way that most of the 2nd wave was not.

Sort of along those lines, old Manes was evil as shit. I found this stuff to be way more chilling than Beherit. It turns out one of my friends made this video and I just stumbled upon it. I'll have to find out what this is about.

Manes also has some of my all time favorite ambient synth work for black metal. It would feel so appropriate for sitting in the basement, playing Dragon Warrior on NES at 11 pm, and being 12.
Xasthur owes a great deal to Mutiilation and Manes, but packages it in a much more accessible (and ultimately successful) way than either did.

Last edited by a moderator:
ProphetOfHatred said:
Well I hope I'm helping you out!

Actually, along these lines, I would really appreciate it if you'd put the album/band name up when you post album covers that don't clearly include 'em . . .

Ud0J9p3.jpg

Manes also has some of my all time favorite ambient synth work for black metal. It would feel so appropriate for sitting in the basement, playing Dragon Warrior on NES at 11 pm, and being 12. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdVK2aEUv1E
Xasthur owes a great deal to Mutiilation and Manes, but packages it in a much more accessible (and ultimately successful) way than either did.

By successful do you mean commerically successful or artistically successful? Because if you mean the later, you are way off mark; and this is coming from someone who likes Xasthur (at least the early stuff).

Can't see any appeal in Xasthur's work. I've tried to enjoy some of his albums but... awful, awful stuff.

I particularly love Nocturnal Poisoning. It's got a vast yet distant sound, as if viewing some horrendous underworld through a vision. The riffs are bleak and menacing. He lost momentum after that; the next few full lengths are solid but formulaic and I checked out by Subliminal Genocide. I did hear Portal of Sorrow, which is probably one of the worst black metal albums I've ever heard.

I dunno. Nocturnal Poisoning is the last album I listened to by him because people said how great it was. It's really just a style of black metal that does absolutely nothing for me. Don't listen to much Leviathan for the same reason.