Black Metal.

It's also (obviously) rather similar sounding to MV II. Though it's not as good as either of them. MV II is still the best music wise.

I never listened to that album, which is probably why I just now noticed that it's Ordo ad Chao, whereas I always thought it was Ordo ab Chao. Probably because ad doesn't take the ablative form like ab; rather, it takes the accusative form, so the correct form would be Ordo ad Chaum. Obviously Mayhem needs to learn about Sid Space, the ablative astronaut.

Even though it may be incorrectly titled, it still an excellent record nonetheless. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How do people feel about Nightbringer. Their music feels pretty simple and the songs run together, plus the triggered drums and treated vocals feel a little fake to me . . . but at the same time I like the end result.

I wouldn't say it's simple. It's not packed with easily discernible and memorable riffs but I enjoy the atmosphere they (I presume more of them were involved in writing this one given the primary song writer left) create.

Anyone that wants more riffing from Nightbringer should check out Hetroertzen if they haven't already. More concise and riffy but similar atmosphere.

Spectral+Lore+14.jpg

Spectral Lore - III

any of you guys listen to this? metalsucks and metal-archives are raving about it.

Yeah, Kafka and myself have posted it before. And someone before that whom I forget. There's nothing specifically great about it, but it just works in an overall package of atmospheric/somewhat lo-fi BM. Would recommend listening to the whole album together rather than song by song... It's greatness really sunk in on my second listen.

Yeah, Kafka and myself have posted it before. And someone before that whom I forget. There's nothing specifically great about it, but it just works in an overall package of atmospheric/somewhat lo-fi BM. Would recommend listening to the whole album together rather than song by song... It's greatness really sunk in on my second listen.

I've posted it before :) It's pretty standard atmospheric black metal.

The new Spectral Lore is certainly different than "standard." Perhaps you feel it's average (which I would def. disagree with, it's well above average to my ears) but "standard" is not really a word I would associate with whether something is quality or not.

The new Darkspace, Panopticon and Blut aus Nord are also pretty dang good 2014 BM releases. Anyone got anymore?

In addition to what you already mentioned, these albums stood out to me this year:

Chaos Moon - Resurrection Extract
Woods of Desolation - As The Stars
Saor - Aura
Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus
Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise

EDIT:
And even though its an EP, ill include:
Woman Is The Earth - Depths

I also liked Skogen's album (I Doden) and though I just started listening to it, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love Abigor's Leytmotif Luzifer.

EDIT: Teitanblood - Death was pretty sweet too.

Lvcifyre - Svn Eater
Lathspell - Impious Incantations
Skáphe - Skáphe
N.K.V.D - Hakmarrja
Ordinance - Relinquishment
Rimruna - Frostbann
Sinmara - Aphotic Womb
Janvs - Nigredo
Urzeit - Der zweite Drei
Calvary - untitled demo (probably not that great, but I really like it)
Pact - The Infernal Hierarchies, Penetrating the Threshold of Night
Schammasch - Contradiction
Xothist - Simulacrum
Ulvegr - The Call of Glacial Emptiness
Tortorum - Katabasis

And some that are a bit less black

Wold - Postsocial (noise)
Black Magic - Wizard's Spell (more heavy/speed metal, really)
Cauldron Black Ram - Stalagmire (more death)
Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi (prog rock whateverness)
Wolvhammer - Clawing Into Black Sun (sludge)

And if you like Woman is the Earth and want more atmospheric, 'Cascadian' style shit, there's Sun Worship - Elder Giants.