Black Metal.

Any thoughts on the band So Hideous? They have a short full length: 'Last Poem/First Light' that I think is really well done. Has a bit of a core vibe to it like Abigail Williams, and there's some minimal symphonics which is pretty cool. All in all an enjoyable album. Here's a track:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like it.

Doesn't remind me of Abigail Williams' early 'core' crap or what I heard of their later 'let's get on the atmospheric black metal bandwagon before it leaves!' stuff either.

Suffers from perpetual, (and overly saccharine) build up disorder.

I'm all for songs that eschew traditional structures but bridge outro bridge outro bridge outro can fuck off.

And their name irritates me.

And they're really not black metal.

Dude I love Abigail Williams' atmospheric stuff. I like that they change their style from album to album. As far as So Hideous goes, i do hear a similarity but also to Deafheaven as well. It's got the post black vibe going.

I just googled this band and their album is pay-what-you-want right now, just FYI.

I really like the sound they've got going on. I feel like the album cover describes the music perfectly.

Hey thanks for the heads up! I was able to snag the digital download, but I wanted a physical copy. I got lucky, fortunately, and grabbed the last vinyl.

Wow that Árstíðir Lífsins track was really beautiful, all have to check more into them. I hate coming into this thread when i need to go to bed :lol: end up staying up much later than i should!

I'll check out Communion, the other two I already know and In fact I put both of those albums in my Top Metal Albums list for last year on RYM.

I'm actually surprised Fas ranked so frequently on many peoples' top BM album lists (even though SMRC beat it). When Fas came out, I remember it receiving VERY mixed reviews. I think it was a bit too avant garde for most people. i loved it. It's been a while since I listened to Paracletus...need to revisit it

Fas and Paracletus are at face value more difficult than SMRC but I feel there is more actual substance to be found in each, particularly Fas.

Question to everyone: What Mortuary Drape album do you guys consider the best?