Black Metal.

Is black metal the only musical genre that this applies to? There are a lot of types of music with differing views expressed in them, including other types of metal. How do you make the distinction on when this is applied to the music?
All genres of music are built upon some underlying ideology somewhere down the line; musical or not. Black metal just so happens to have a little of both.

Pop requires simplicity and hooks.
Rock and roll requires a certain "bad boy attitude".
Black metal requires an opposition to Christianity, but will settle for at least secularism; anything other than praise.
Prog metal requires it be bad.

Again, you can't be part of a genre when you are an affront to what said genre stands for.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would definitely have to dispute your claim that rock music requires a bad boy attitude, as even some of the earliest rock music doesn't capitalize on that in the slightest despite being inarguably part of that genre.

I also don't think all pop music has to simple.

Do you deny that there is a certain "attitude" that is inherent to all rock music? I guess "bad boy attitude" was a poor way of putting it, but you have to admit rock and roll is a bit... greasier sounding than other genres of music.

Do you deny that there is a certain "attitude" that is inherent to all rock music? I guess "bad boy attitude" was a poor way of putting it, but you have to admit rock and roll is a bit... greasier sounding than other genres of music.

It really depends on the musician. Take Roy Orbison for example.

Even "Oh, Pretty Woman" doesn't have much going for it in the way of attitude and is a narrative of a man who wants to talk to a pretty girl but doesn't have the guts. The only reason that it happens is because she turns around and talks to him. That's probably about as raucous as he ever was.

Reactions: tagradh
Prog metal requires it be bad

Aw. Oh well, different tastes I suppose. :)

As for black metal, I haven't really been into the genre for a long time. To be honest, the only things I like so far are Gorgoroth's first two albums and Darkthrone's first six (I liked Soulside Journey. Not as much as their black metal releases but still...). Honestly, when it comes to having such minimalist values to your music, you still need to be smart about how your compositions are made and I think Darkthrone do an excellent job of this. They know how to properly convey atmosphere AND make kickass metal simultaneously in those seminal releases. Hell, they even did that until Total Death.

Reactions: Phylactery
Oh how I wish I was just getting into black metal all over again and listening to all those amazing classic albums for the first time.

Oh, this has been something I've been trying to get into for the past couple of years or so. I mean, you're going to run into some assholes who decide to give you shit for listening to Agalloch (yes, I know they have elements of post-rock and I don't care) but it's been pretty cool so far.

Be sure to start with Pure Holocaust, which I think is easily Immortal's best album. At the Heart of Winter seems to be well regarded for their more accessible works. I'm not really a fan of it, but it might be worth a shot if you don't immediately like Pure Holocaust.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
Try this one if you like a twist of Star Wars to your black metal (you'll see what I mean at 1:37).

That actually sounds pretty fantastic. However, you may as well be fully committed to the Star Wars theme here, right? I have just the thing.

EDIT: Phylactery, if that track was any indication of the album's quality, I'll make sure to listen to the whole thing as soon as possible.

That actually sounds pretty fantastic. However, you may as well be fully committed to the Star Wars theme here, right? I have just the thing.

EDIT: Phylactery, if that track was any indication of the album's quality, I'll make sure to listen to the whole thing as soon as possible.

Lol, that's a great concept for a band name/cover art. Probably a little too much on the melodic side for me, but good stuff nevertheless.

Lol, that's a great concept for a band name/cover art. Probably a little too much on the melodic side for me, but good stuff nevertheless.

I actually recommended this band to someone a bit more initiated and he said that he didn't know how to take a BM band seriously that was named after a Star Wars planet. Keep in mind that this is the exact same genre in which one of its most celebrated bands is named Gorgoroth. :tickled:

The vocalist is actually pretty good as well.

What really made me happy about the concept was the artistry involved in the logo. They actually made the band logo look like a TIE bomber from the movies.

You just said you liked Gorgoroth. You should also listen to their 3rd album if you haven't because it's up there with the first 2. As for them being one of black metal's most celebrated bands, I don't think that's entirely true. Plenty of people seem to write them off as a joke band because of their overly satanic themes without realising that their early works are among Norway's elite.

Same thing happens with Deicide, because they've been terrible so long, they get written off. Both Deicide and Legion are great records.

Last edited:
Reactions: Master_Yoda77
You just said you liked Gorgoroth. You should also listen to their 3rd album if you haven't because it's up there with the first 2. As for them being one of black metal's most celebrated bands I don't think tat's entirely true. Plenty of people seem to right them off as a joke band because of their overly satanic themes without releasing their early works are among Norway's elite.

Perhaps most notorious is more apt, then. Because I've already heard all the crap with Gaahl and everything. Their later releases don't look all that good, either.

I actually recommended this band to someone a bit more initiated and he said that he didn't know how to take a BM band seriously that was named after a Star Wars planet. Keep in mind that this is the exact same genre in which one of its most celebrated bands is named Gorgoroth. :tickled:

The vocalist is actually pretty good as well.

Lol yh, so many bands have their names taken straight from Tolkien, it isn't that different. Also melodic black metal gets to play by different rules in my book.

Agreed on Gorgoroth; their early work gets overlooked sometimes on account of Gaahl's popularity, but I'd rank it up with the best.

It's not even one of my favourite tracks from the album, though obviously I still love it. My faves are "Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss", "The Sun No Longer Rises" and "As the Eternity Opens".