Black Metal.

Anyone here like Ulver, as well? I've been a huge fan of theirs for a while. It was one of the few black metal bands that I liked for many years until just a couple years ago.

Anyone here like Ulver, as well? I've been a huge fan of theirs for a while. It was one of the few black metal bands that I liked for many years until just a couple years ago.

Yeah - I don't listen to them quite as much as I used to, but I'd still say they're one of my favourite bands. Ironically the black metal albums were the last of theirs I learned to like. Perdition City is jaw dropping - that album paved the way for me to explore electronic music, and exposed me to hundreds of artists I'd have never discovered without it. That whole jazz/noir atmosphere set to dance beats is completely unique, though.

Yeah - I don't listen to them quite as much as I used to, but I'd still say they're one of my favourite bands. Ironically the black metal albums were the last of theirs I learned to like. Perdition City is jaw dropping - that album paved the way for me to explore electronic music, and exposed me to hundreds of artists I'd have never discovered without it. That whole jazz/noir atmosphere set to dance beats is completely unique, though.

It was the reverse for me. Although, when I heard Perdition City, I loved it. It was a really inventive album.

Honestly, when it comes to having such minimalist values to your music, you still need to be smart about how your compositions are made and I think Darkthrone do an excellent job of this. They know how to properly convey atmosphere AND make kickass metal simultaneously in those seminal releases. Hell, they even did that until Total Death.
I wonder what you'd think of Burzum, Nyktalgia, and Thy Light. Some of my favorite black metal.

I dig Bergtatt and the folk one (can't remember its name) quite a bit. Not so big on Nattens Madrigal (played it too many times when I was just getting into black metal ten years ago) or the experimental stuff, but I'm sure the experimental stuff will click at some point.

I wonder what you'd think of Burzum, Nyktalgia, and Thy Light. Some of my favorite black metal.

Alas, I have not gotten to Thy Light and Nyktalgia, yet. As for Burzum, I remember listening to some of it a long time ago and I remember disliking it. Then again, I heavily disliked Varg Vikernes and anything to do with him back then. It was due to my belief that his antics (and those of people like Euronymous and Gaahl) reflected on the metal genre very poorly. I still sort of believe that but I'll still give Burzum a second chance. Might end up liking some of the albums.

Would I be correct if recalled Burzum being more atmospheric?

It's not even one of my favourite tracks from the album, though obviously I still love it. My faves are "Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss", "The Sun No Longer Rises" and "As the Eternity Opens".

So, I just finished the album and it is pretty badass. Although, another track I think should be praised is Frozen By Icewinds. I had to listen to that one three more times due to how awesome it was.

Reactions: Phylactery
Varg is a moron, but seems harmless nowadays. His rants are kind of endearing in a semi-racist deranged prepper way...

I really like most of his stuff besides the first album (too raw) up until Umskiptar. After that it goes off on a tangent I don't much enjoy.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
I really like most of his stuff besides the first album (too raw) up until Umskiptar.

This seems weird to me. Production wise, the first 2 are less raw and abrasive than both Hvis... and Filosofem. If you're talking musically, then they're still full of some of Varg's most melodic passages. When was the last time you listened to them?

Alas, I have not gotten to Thy Light and Nyktalgia, yet. As for Burzum, I remember listening to some of it a long time ago and I remember disliking it. Then again, I heavily disliked Varg Vikernes and anything to do with him back then. It was due to my belief that his antics (and those of people like Euronymous and Gaahl) reflected on the metal genre very poorly. I still sort of believe that but I'll still give Burzum a second chance. Might end up liking some of the albums.

Would I be correct if recalled Burzum being more atmospheric?
Atmospheric, yes. Go with Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Filosofem or Fallen.

The first album isn't mixed as well as the others - the instruments all feel separated off from one another, and the drums are slightly too loud. I remember reading an interview wit Varg in which he claimed that Filosfem was intentionally recorded with the shittiest equipment he could obtain, and yet the production on that sounds absolutely perfect to me. Everything gels.

Not listening to a black metal album because of poor production is pretty dumb though.

Deformed, I may start off with Filosofem and move on to Hvis. Mostly because Filosofem is the one I have better memory of.

This seems weird to me. Production wise, the first 2 are less raw and abrasive than both Hvis... and Filosofem. If you're talking musically, then they're still full of some of Varg's most melodic passages. When was the last time you listened to them?

It's been maybe 2-3 years. And yeah, definitely raw as far as songwriting goes. Less developed maybe being a better word? All his early stuff is sonically raw compared to the post-prison stuff.