Black Metal.

My problem with Belus was that I don't think the riffs leant themselves to repetition in the same way the riffs on Hvis or Filosofem did. Instead of hypnotic it just felt like the music wasn't really going anywhere. It's still an alright album though by general bm standards, and I'll commend Varg for trying something a little different with the softer production.

Reactions: Phylactery
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Belus is a great album, or anywhere near his best stuff. I agree with pretty much everything you said. It's just I think the song "Glemselens Elv" isn't too far behind his best works.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Belus is a great album, or anywhere near his best stuff. I agree with pretty much everything you said. It's just I think the song "Glemselens Elv" isn't too far behind his best works.

I don't remember it too clearly - I'll give it a spin after I've finished reassuring myself that South of Heaven doesn't suck.

But Belus has the glorious "Glemselens Elv".
True, Glemselens Elv is one of his best songs. But Belus wasn't as consistent as Fallen. Fallen hits comparable heights, and more often.

I would rank the Burzum discography (not counting the re-recording album because it was shit) as follows:

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Filosofem
Fallen
Det Som Engang Var
Burzum/Aske
Daudi Baldrs
Belus
Hlidskjalf
The Ways of Yore
Umskiptar

Reactions: EspaDa
^ It's a great ranking but Det Som Engang Var should swap places with Burzum/Aske. The rest is right.
I was actually debating switching Burzum/Aske and Daudi Baldrs tbh, if anything. They're about equal imo.
Darkthrone is better than Burzum. But that's just me.
I totally, unequivocally, %1,000,000 disagree. Darkthrone may be another favorite band for me, and have one of the most consistent discographies in all of metal, but they still have never released anything as otherworldly and monumental as even the worst of the first four Burzum albums (the self-titled).

Reactions: Internally Deformed
I've listened to Hvis, Filosofem and Fallen so far and I still like Darkthrone better. Under the Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger really contest even Burzum's best work for me. I still liked Hvis and Filosofem but I don't think they quite beat out Darkthrone's best.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark