Black Metal.

Haven’t listened to them in years but I remember liking them more than Sargeist. By the Blessing of Satan is kinda decent I think, but I don’t remember much.

Their most popular is probably My Soul for His Glory so you could try that as well.

Yeah, sounds quite a bit like early Gorgoroth, although nowhere near as good. Thrashier and rawer than what they would become later. Nothing essential, but not awful or anything.

In fact, I’m gonna revisit this band in the near future. As well as Sargeist and maybe Horna, to see if there’s anything I’m missing.

Kyprian’s Circle might be my favourite black metal from Finland that I’ve heard. Are you familiar with them?

Black metal albums rarely have drumming that stands out, that's usually by design I suppose because it's supposed to create an atmosphere via repetition, but I love the drumming on Thousand Swords. The cymbal work makes it sound like an actual sword battle is going on throughout the record, it's fucking fantastic.

Well of course, everything about Thousand Swords is top tier shit. Well except, “Black Metal War”. And I guess some might take issue with the vocals.

I fucking love the drums on Darkthrone’s Crossing the Triangle of Flames and consider it one of Fenriz’ best moments. One of their best songs in general actually.

Other than that, I love the drums on Far Away from the Sun, lots of varied blasting and just a tonne of power behind them. The middle section of Obsolete Tears is especially incredible.

2:18 - 3:08

I’m a sucker for a good tremolo/blast section in general, which black metal has a lot of. So I largely don’t take an issue with the abundance of blast beats in a lot of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
The drums on "Crossing the Triangle of Flames" are cool but nothing that really makes me excited, the cymbal work is nice though. Drumming on "Obsolete Tears" is better and more akin to the repetition method I mentioned, which I appreciate.

Fenriz drumming-wise was at his best on Soulside Journey IMO, just a hurricane of cymbals and fills that gives me goosebumps at times. He was also very interesting on Goatlord, just all over the place stylistically in a really cool way.

Ever since A Blaze in the Northern Sky which has some of his leftover death metal chops here and there his obsession with primitive simplicity has made his drumming less and less interesting for me, even though as a band I've liked their stuff consistently. Black metal isn't really rich soil for great drumming, unless the band is unorthodox within the genre.

This is so fucking good, Fenriz was once a madman:

Horna has a daunting discography from what I recall. I'd like to discover the key albums in their arsenal as well.

I believe their key album is Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne. I used to love that album and it was on heavy rotation back in the past for me. However, I haven't listened to Horna for a long time now. They suffered many line-up changes over the years, which daunts me a little bit when it comes to exploring their discography.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Straight to my 'check out' list.

Cobalt is one of my all time favourite bands! Their drummer Erik, the founder of the band, is a friend of mine. He's a super nice dude who listens to lots of great music. He's also one of the best black metal drummers I've ever heard. Be sure to check them out, matey.

Black metal albums rarely have drumming that stands out, that's usually by design I suppose because it's supposed to create an atmosphere via repetition, but I love the drumming on Thousand Swords. The cymbal work makes it sound like an actual sword battle is going on throughout the record, it's fucking fantastic.
Mgła is a band that has fantastic drumming imo.

I think that's changing now. Plenty of modern black metal features competent to fantastic drumming. Kriegsmachine is an excellent example.

Still, many old black metal albums/bands also had good drumming, I mean, guys like Hellhammer, Frost, Grim, Trym, Dirge Rep, Horgh, Nick Barker, Czral, Themis, Proscriptor, etc, were/are all excellent performers.

I'm not making statements about objective talent, just stylistic preferences. I don't particularly want to hear black metal with technical death metal drumming, or whatever.

Drums that stand out aren't necessarily drums that are played technically, just interestingly. "Good drumming" in the context of black metal, to me, is drumming that does its job and helps to create an atmosphere.

Thousand Swords just happens to feature some very cool cymbal work that I like. That said, Hellhammer is definitely a monster.

Not all guys I mentioned are technically espectacular either. I was going for drummers that add value to the music they play.

Grim was technically a quite average metal drummer but he played with such intensity that almost all the albums he recorded have that sense of merciless beating.

I would say that black metal in general became far more professional in the last 10-15 years; the albums are more or less well produced and the musicianship has vastly improved.