Black Metal.

I've been listening to some obscure black metal demos that I recently discovered and thought I would share them:

Eternal - ...and the Sky Was Entombed by Flames

Wild and all over the place and pretty amateur with some poorly placed female vocals and clean vocals, but I can forgive it because I really like the sound they're going for and it's full of a youthful passion. At times reminding me of a blacker Skydancer. And they're from Uruguay!

Chained & Desperate - Oracles from the Neitherworld

Greek black metal from 1995 so you know what to expect. Sounds a lot like Varathron and Rotting Christ. "Dancing in the Garden of Prosperity" is particularly cool.

The Call of the Four Gates - Faturek the Wolf

Has that 90s black metal sound. Emotional and soulful black metal that stirs something deep within. They also had a follow-up demo that on a cursory listen is worth looking into as well.

Vornat - Gjotnejm

Not my favourite from these but should appeal to some people here. Reminds me of the first Burzum.

Luciferi - Thy Fullmoon Rites

Those were cool, I think the weirdness of the vocals on Vornat really push it out of ordinary Burzum-worship territory, and the general chaos of the quite dominant drumming tickles my fancy. More posts like this pleaze!

Also, you forgot to post a link for Luciferi, but I looked it up anyway and I liked that one too. Super brooding and cold for a Brazilian band. Some parts reminded me of early Enslaved, but drenched in fuzz and demo-dust.

Reactions: Phylactery
I listened to quite a few more, but as can be the case with demos, the production made them unlistenable, even for me. And I have a pretty high tolerance for low-fi production.

But I have some more that I’m going to check out and I’ll post any that I think are good.

And yeah, I never meant to imply that Vornat was pure Burzum worship, just that the first Burzum was a reference point that gives you a vague idea of what it sounds like.

Reactions: CiG
What's everybody's favorite Sigh album? I'm partial to Imaginary Sonicscape as I love the odd time signatures and how at times it feels like elevator black metal. I generally enjoy most of their output as their theatrical leanings tick a bunch of boxes in my metal checklist.

I'm partial to their first four. I cant really tell you a specific favorite. I havent listened to their newer albums in a while but at least initially they didnt click much.

i'll chuck out ten i liked that haven't been mentioned much around here:
aorlhac - l'espirit des vents
autarcie - sequania
blackrat - dread reverence (black thrash but nobody else has mentioned them afaik)
chaos invocation - reaping season, bloodshed beyond
lutomysl - ecce homo
nachash - phantasmal triunity
spite - antimoshiach
strigoii - the oldest of blood
transilvania - the night of nights
uruk - nihilistic warfare in inhuman realms

Just so you dont think you're wasting time completely...

Aorlhac - sounds good
Autarcie - love the art, the music didnt grab me though when I saw this appear at Arcane Altar earlier this year.
Blackrat - really fun shit. I forgot about it really, shadow kingdom sends emails announcing new bands too far ahead of the album release.
Chaos Invocation - no strong feelings here
Lutomysl - lol @ his profile pic on MA.
Spite - definitely want to pick this up
Strigoii - nosferatu in the forest
Transilvania - hadnt heard of this. Pretty cool
Uruk - didnt like this one much

Will go through the other recs soon.

lol @ the strigoii comment, not sure if that's a compliment or not but it's pretty accurate.

lmao at lutomysl also, what a dork. i like that one quite a lot though, i should check out some of his earlier stuff.

Glad to see this thread being more active lately. But now I feel bad that the death metal thread isn’t seeing much activity. These are my two favourite sub-genres of metal and will always get a lot of love from me.

Honestly finding it harder to find newer death metal that really resonates with me, though. I’m sure it’s out there. I just need to put more effort into finding it. But honestly at this point, I’d rather sit through an average black metal record than an average death metal one.

I’ve been in a huge black metal mood in general, especially again now with the 1997 ranking thread. I’m sure I’ll have a change in moods once that one is done with.

Lately Ive been trying to track down the Evilfeast albums. Now I'm only missing Lost Horizons of Wisdom and Wintermoon Enchantment. Pretty fucking good for a one man black metal band. Icy symphonic stuff. One of the more interesting bands NWN's forums turned me onto. Seems fitting for tonight too. Temp is going down to 5 degrees here (-15 C for everyone else) Wind chill is supposed to drop to -18 (-27C) Going to work in the morning should be fun.

For the '97 game I checked out a whole bunch of demos, figured I'd share the black metal I discovered that I liked:

Finnish black metal, dubbed as "raw" but really I don't think it's that raw. Actually kind of mystical and atmospheric at times, with some nice savage vocals.

One-man Polish "symphonic" black metal, according to MA. I really like this sound a lot, it's a shame this is all he ever did. Just two tracks and then lost to the void.

Everybody knows this band, but it was cool to take a trip back to their even more primitive past. This is their very first release and it already kicks ass. Instant potential!

Will definitely try that Urn demo. Fan of the band, whether it be evil snowmen, 666 Megatons or their most recent, which I think is their best. I still need the album where the goat man is pissing on the pope for the art. Fuck the edited version too.

Reactions: CiG