Black Metal.

Well most of these guy take it VERY seriously(and i have talked to a few of them). Yea a few bands burned churchs(which is stupid becuase they were a part of norway's history) but many soon dropped
there satanic claims or changed there idea of relgion all togather.

With usbm they focus of the idea of blasphemy much more in the there songs.

Listion to demonic christ then compare to darkthrone or to mayhem. There is a direct focus on Blasphemous lyrics.

I don't really give a shit if the lyrics are about Christianity.

I do because to me metal,rock,etc.. and a lot of music has nothing to do with christianity and is the opposite. I as a person have the right to decide what entertains me and if I don't want to hear about something do not have to. I refuse to care what pilgrims,christians,etc.. think about music because generally how they think and perceive music is odd to me.

I do because to me metal,rock,etc.. and a lot of music has nothing to do with christianity and is the opposite. I as a person have the right to decide what entertains me and if I don't want to hear about something do not have to. I refuse to care what pilgrims,christians,etc.. think about music because generally how they think and perceive music is odd to me.

Ok so if you have a right to decide what entertains you then just ignore the music.

Your post made no sense and does not prove any point.

Sorry if I'm being naughty here V, but I have a question for American Black Metal enthusiasts: do you feel that USBM differs philosophically from Norsk Black Metal? How?
USBM has little, if any, unified philosophical focus. Even the early Scandinavian scene was fairly diverse (compare Mayhem to Enslaved). It isn't even useful to refer to USBM as if it were some kind of coherent movement in the sense that Norway sort of was. You have to take it on a band by band basis.

newBLACKways said:
anyone know of any good post-black metal?
Try Transcending Bizarre?, Solefald, Ved Buens Ende or Thy Catafalque.

USBM has little, if any, unified philosophical focus. Even the early Scandinavian scene was fairly diverse (compare Mayhem to Enslaved). It isn't even useful to refer to USBM as if it were some kind of coherent movement in the sense that Norway sort of was. You have to take it on a band by band basis.

This is pretty much what I thought. USBM does have some excellent contributors, but not as many as people would think, I feel.

I really wish more lyrics were available to make a judgment on, as far as themes in USBM go. It would seem that isolation is more apparent as a them than in other countries. There also seem to be more one-man bands by percentage in the US vs. other countries. This supports the isolation theory a bit. One man bands can be great when you have a completely focused musical direction, but it sometimes hurts bands when they are clearly weaker in drums and production than they would be if there were some more people helping out. I'll think about this a bit more and add to it later.

Sorry if I'm being naughty here V, but I have a question for American Black Metal enthusiasts: do you feel that USBM differs philosophically from Norsk Black Metal? How?
I usually find that the better USBM bands are more about nihilism and hate versus just Satanism. Obviously it's hard to lump a whole scene into one pile but that is the trend I perceive. I find it harder to buy into the seriousness of the US bands claiming to be the satan/goat/fire breed such as Kvlt of Azazel. It's been 15 years since the events in Norway, and at this point that kind of stuff is a gimmick for bands in the US. However, there are serious bands with serious lyrical topics, I just feel that those topics have strayed into the ones I've mentioned.

I'm going to have to change my mind on my review of The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure. After listening to this album last night I have now heard the brilliance in it. The low master volume makes it difficult to immerse yourself in the music, but once you do it's a great experience. Unlike the previous album, Unlock the Shrine, Rain Upon the Impure offers a more cohesive album. All the songs flow together and create a very dark and, as the band described so elegantly, sinister experience.

The compositional work is another strong point of the album. Riffs are slowly built on top of one another as well as industrial effects that together create an epic and lush sound scape. By utilizing many different vocal approaches Meilenwald never allows the listener to be comfortable in the music. You're always on edge waiting for the next turn in the music to be taken.

It's hard for me to say how Rain Upon the Impure rates with regards to Unlock the Shrine. Both albums are brilliant and sound distinctively different, but yet are unmistakably from the same band. I highly recommend this release, and I also recommend that a judgment not be made after the first listen.

I usually find that the better USBM bands are more about nihilism and hate versus just Satanism. Obviously it's hard to lump a whole scene into one pile but that is the trend I perceive. I find it harder to buy into the seriousness of the US bands claiming to be the satan/goat/fire breed such as Kvlt of Azazel. It's been 15 years since the events in Norway, and at this point that kind of stuff is a gimmick for bands in the US. However, there are serious bands with serious lyrical topics, I just feel that those topics have strayed into the ones I've mentioned.

Totally fucking agree. Ace post CC.

Re: Ruins Of Beverast...it's ironic that you'd say that Rain Upon The Impure has low volume (I haven't heard it actually), but the first album was definitely very loud and unusually warm sounding for a BM album...and I didn't like it to some extent for that reason...

Countess, particularly on The Return Of The Horned One and The Shining Swords of Hate (though the two are worlds apart stylistically), is seriously one of the most trying bands to listen to in order to understand and appreciate what's happening. I have heard complaints about pretty much every aspect of both albums mentioned, and they're all legitimate, yet it really doesn't matter. Yes, the production is horrible. Yes, the vocals are strange, if not grating. Yes, the musicianship on display is frankly insulting. But just keep listening to it. Let it work its way into your subconscious and absorb you. Listen to it at night, in the dark, in full concentration, for several nights. If you don't understand what Orlok was doing and what he's accomplished at that point, then you probably never will.

And that is one thing that makes black metal very different from (and to some people, better than) death metal...the concept of DELAYED GRATIFICATION.

Thoughts on Azrael? I just listened to the song Worship off a compilation CD and found it to be some pretty interesting black metal.