Black Metal.

I just received the latest albums by Graveland and Inquisition in the mail. Will Stronger Than Death, as expected, is excellent - but still not quite up to the standard of Dawn Of Iron Blades. Perhaps it'll get better - like most Graveland albums - on repeated listens.

Nefarious Dismal Orations by Inquisition was a huge shock though; holy shit, this fucking rules. Much stronger than Magnificent Glorification Of Lucifer, and probably their best yet. A definite contender for album of the year, right here.

I really wish more lyrics were available to make a judgment on, as far as themes in USBM go. It would seem that isolation is more apparent as a them than in other countries. There also seem to be more one-man bands by percentage in the US vs. other countries. This supports the isolation theory a bit. One man bands can be great when you have a completely focused musical direction, but it sometimes hurts bands when they are clearly weaker in drums and production than they would be if there were some more people helping out. I'll think about this a bit more and add to it later.

thats because a large percentage of the American population doesn't like black metal.

I really wish more lyrics were available to make a judgment on, as far as themes in USBM go. It would seem that isolation is more apparent as a them than in other countries. There also seem to be more one-man bands by percentage in the US vs. other countries. This supports the isolation theory a bit. One man bands can be great when you have a completely focused musical direction, but it sometimes hurts bands when they are clearly weaker in drums and production than they would be if there were some more people helping out. I'll think about this a bit more and add to it later.
Supporting the isolation theory is the fact that Mr. Suicidal Black Metal (Xasthur) is at the forefront of the American scene. I wonder, is this (sub)sub genre more prevalent in America than elsewhere? It might be one of the key thematic choices for the nation. I'm not sure myself, personally I find the concept of suicidal black metal even more lame than Christian "black" metal. :p

ohiogrinder said:
thats because a large percentage of the American population doesn't like black metal.
:guh: :guh: I don't believe this is correct.

Here's an idea... USBM bands = gimmick bands

Norske svart metall bands = Not gimmick bands

just a thought....
:lol: Generalize much?

V.V.V.V.V. said:
And that is one thing that makes black metal very different from (and to some people, better than) death metal...the concept of DELAYED GRATIFICATION.
:lol: Generalize much?

Supporting the isolation theory is the fact that Mr. Suicidal Black Metal (Xasthur) is at the forefront of the American scene. I wonder, is this (sub)sub genre more prevalent in America than elsewhere? It might be one of the key thematic choices for the nation. I'm not sure myself, personally I find the concept of suicidal black metal even more lame than Christian "black" metal. :p

In the context of bands such as Xasthur, Leviathan, Veil and (although outside of the US), Nortt, I don't feel a suicide thematic is totally outside the Black Metal boundary.

In the case of USBM though, I agree, it definitely seems to be some kind of thematic trend. I have often wondered about it before, and feel it could be perhaps due to the political climate in the US, combined with the style of life that everyday people lead.

Are you saying that living in the US is so depressing BM bands write suicidal lyrics? :p

I'm more inclined to believe that the US scene had to branch out from the norm because otherwise they would (rightfully) be considered rip offs of the European bands who came before them.

^ To an extent, yes.

Exterior influences in life almost always provide the influence for art. Everyone knows the US is currently in a darker than usual period thanks to the Administration, and no doubt this does effect peoples' well being and happiness in their lives.

The US scene is probably already considered a ripoff anyway (from my perspective, I think the US scene has some good contributions, but just not many), the suicide thematic would do little to prove the US isn't following the tails of Europe. (I hope no one finds this offensive, its not meant to be).

Consider Nortt (Denmark) against all the suicide themed bands from the US. NO ONE does it better than Nortt. Even Malefic who writes such exceptional material, is completely outgunned by Nortt.

Nortt is the undisputed master of suicide-themed Black Metal, and Black Doom, and is light years ahead of everyone else in this field.

Let's face it folks, the entire world is trying to catch up with Europe's dominance in Black Metal, and frankly, as a generalisation, I can't see Europe being overtaken due to how rich it is in culture and history, combined with the diverse and beautiful natural environments it has.

I don't see what political climate has to do with it. People in other countries seem to care more about American politics than Americans do. Our administration doesn't make us feel bad as much as the fact that everyone else on the entire planet fucking hates us.

The American way of life is very isolating, in spite of the population density of cities. One could go to school with thousands, and not have meaningful interactions with any. Dozens of people sit on trains and buses in total silence. People are lucky if anyone outside of their parents cares the slightest bit about them. Impersonal bureaucracies and automated telephone prompts are everywhere. Everything in this country is so image based, that someone who looks different is nearly instantly stigmatized and stereotyped. Since cultural backgrounds are so diverse, there are no unifying aspects of culture, and people who are several generations from their countries of origin often lack any sense of roots. I could go on.

Having not lived in any other country, I can't say how things are different, although I know cultural origins play a huge part in European black metal.

^ Yes, I totally agree, that's the kind of observation I was thinking about. I do think the political climate adds to it though - we've all been stressed and afraid since 9/11, and our lives are more locked down than ever before.