Black Metal.

There is simply no better way to put it than the ever-pretentious "They just don't get it."

There are two fail-proof, unarguable ways to measure someone's taste.
1.) Do you like Darkthrone?
2.) Which of the first two Emperor albums is better?

Musical fusions are not gimmicks :err: and how the fuck is screamo and post-hardcore pop influences.
Of course it's a gimmick - when the first thing you hear about a band is that they mix genre X with genre Y, the question that needs to be asked is "why"? If their isn't an answer beyond some equivalent of "because it sounds cool" then you probably have a gimmick on your hands. Screamo and post-hardcore are certainly pop, at least as pop as black metal anyway (in that they are trends that have only been around for brief periods of time).

ohiogrinder said:
in short, yes. metal is more acceptable in places such as Asia and Europe than it is here.
ohiogrinder said:
more festivals are there, much more media coverage.
Asia? The continent where metal is various levels of illegal in several countries? And you think metal is more acceptable and has more media coverage than in America, where metal bands routinely crack the billboard top 200 and Metallica is one of the top selling artists in the country's hisrory? :loco:

Krigloch the Furious said:
black metal is fine the way it is. forests, paganism, cold grim mountains, hatred..... I love it all
Hubster said:
I agree with you man, I'm perfectly happy with it.
Don't worry everyone, some guys on the internet like black metal the way it is, the genre's fine! ;) Maybe we could put aside our egos and personal tastes for now and try to have a constructive discussion, no? :) Although it looks like the thread is starting to deteriorate... :(

With the weather I've had recently I'm becoming slightly skeptical.

I agree; we've had unusually cold weather in the evenings and at night in Southern California, and the weather hasn't been too disagreeable during the day, either.

Ohiogrinder said:
in short, yes. metal is more acceptable in places such as Asia and Europe than it is here.

Perhaps Europe and South America, but DEFINITELY not Asia. Asia is pretty backwards in its political and social systems, so metal is a dangerous thing to their governments because it promotes free thought.

on another note, i'm intend to visit norway to see the black metal scene there and perhaps, see what's going on there. I'm aiming for a fall arrival in Oslo. I'll be visiting Bergen, Trondheim and many other northern areas in Norway, including Hammerfest. I will also see Hell.

Here is a more difficult question: how do you explain the influx of Scandinavian black metal bands today, most of which, despite their apparent cultural superiority, "suck cock"? (By blaming American $$$, I would imagine...)

Easy. The bands don't have the same drives nowadays as the ones who played a decade ago. Nowadays black metal don't care about culture or opposition. They only care about scene cred-points and pussy and drugs.

Having hated Darkthrone in the last god knows how long, in recent months I've finally taken a strong liking to it, and found it's opened up my appreciation even more than what I had before.

It seems many people hate the Darkthrone style, yet I find it to be quite possibly the most important characteristic of what became the second wave, and imo is just as relevant today.

How do other people feel about this? And why is it that so many people seem to hate Darkthrone (and please, don't just say "they suck").

I'm glad you're starting to appreciate them. I wondered why you were such a huge bm fan yet hated Darkthrone.

I'm glad you're starting to appreciate them. I wondered why you were such a huge bm fan yet hated Darkthrone.

Well, Crimson Velvet was pondering over the same thing, he didn't get why I didn't like them some time back, and then it made me think that I should investigate them again, as I was already starting to get into their style via other bands. I guess, I was just in the right state of mind to do it :)

Forget Soulside Journey, they were still deathmetal when they did that.

You'll want:
# A Blaze in the Northern Sky - (1992)
# Under a Funeral Moon - (1993)
# Transilvanian Hunger - (1994)
# Panzerfaust - (1995)

And I don't know how the other folks feel, but I quite like the new album, The Cult Is Alive.

Here's some handy reading.

^ What albums would you guys suggest as an Intro to Darkthrone?

Listen to their discog in order, with the exception of Soulside Journey. A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under A Funeral Moon, and Transilvanian Hunger to start. TH is the best, UAFM is second, and ABITNS is the weakest of the three imo. All three are still brilliant though.

After those albums you start to see more Celtic Frost influence.