Black Metal.

This is BM discussion right?!?!

Arckanum.

1208407131_l.jpg

.......Nuff' said.

Best post on this page. Arckanum slays.

A Blaze in the Northern Sky is pure black metal. Panzerfaust is more black metal than ABITNS, particularly the ones with Celtic Frost influence.

I agree.

I am pretty sure after Soulside Journey Darkthrone scraped 'goatlord' because they felt death metal bands were about being political correct and wearing shorts(seems directed to just florida death metal) and the band felt they did not fit with the scene so they decided to play pure black metal and wrote' a blaze in the nothern sky'. I think Darkthrone had a more black metal attitude and style since the beginning anyways so it was bound to happen

Darkthrone admits that there are still some leftover death metal riffs that made it into ABITNS. Plenty of black metal bands have some death metal or thrash metal riffs though. ABITNS is still black metal.

I would say ABITNS is much more raw than Transilvanian Hunger.

Since when does me failing to achieve my goals have anything to do with the actual music as the listener interprets it?
:confused: Your goal was to make a genius piece of music, but (due to your ineptness?) you produced crap (read: bad music). Probably choosing a vague and ambiguous goal didn't help you. Hey, it's your scenario.

Darkthrone admits that there are still some leftover death metal riffs that made it into ABITNS. Plenty of black metal bands have some death metal or thrash metal riffs though. ABITNS is still black metal.

I would say ABITNS is much more raw than Transilvanian Hunger.
True. Very often a black metal band will have some death metal riffs, or a death metal band will have some black metal riffs. ABITNS is definitely overall black metal. The songs the strike me particularly as having some death metal riffs are Kathaarian Life Code and The Pagan Winter. Then there are some songs like Where Cold Winds Blow, that contain no trace of death metal.

What in the FUCK? There are GIGANTIC, UNBELIEVABLY HORRIFYINGLY LARGE stylistic differences between SJ and ABITNS. SJ is death metal because of the strange, technical, complex structures while almost ALL other Darkthrone material is definitely categorized as some of the most pure and copied, tried-and-true black metal ever to exist. Where are you even basing your conclusions?

:lol:

A Blaze In the Northern Sky is totally cock rockin' super nekro Black Metal. A fucking brilliant album :kickass:

Ok, interesting theory. I have a follow up question: why? They grew up with the same wealth of cultural influence that the first generation of bands did.

Well, the state of the Norwegian society is vastly different now than it was for fifteen, twenty years ago. Obviously, an enormous cultural heritage isn't going to be enough to produce good black metal; other factors come into play as well. I suppose the early Norwegian black metal bands were just the right people at the right time and at the right place.

As for you, V5, my post was of course somewhat exaggerated, but that doesn't change the FACT that the general message remains true. If you think black metal bands today have the same motivation behind their art as the black metal musicians had fifteen years ago, you are even dumber than I took you for.

That said, if you think I am going to take criticism from a fifteen year old american boy like yourself, you are incredibly deluded. Please bear in mind, I have loved and lived this genre for as long as you have been alive and I am in a far greater position than yourself to put its evolution into context. I understand your need to defend your favourite bands, and I bear you no ill will for that, but please, don't overestimate your own weight in this matter. There is still something to be said about wisdom of the ages.

Here's an interesting documentary that is being streamed. It's about Gaahl from Gorgoroth as a person. The first two parts are mostly a background about Black Metal, and really aren't different from anything else we've heard. The other parts though are quite interesting as they are all about Gaahl and his personal life.

Part 1: http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=769427891&bccl=NDEyODIxMzEzX19NVVNJQw
Part 2: http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=769452962&bccl=NDEyODIxMzEzX19NVVNJQw
Part 3: http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=769393903&bccl=NDEyODIxMzEzX19NVVNJQw
Part 4: http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=791890240&bccl=NDEyODIxMzEzX19NVVNJQw

I believe there are 5 parts in total. The 5th will be uploaded soon I hope. Enjoy.

As for you, V5, my post was of course somewhat exaggerated, but that doesn't change the FACT that the general message remains true. If you think black metal bands today have the same motivation behind their art as the black metal musicians had fifteen years ago, you are even dumber than I took you for.

That said, if you think I am going to take criticism from a fifteen year old american boy like yourself, you are incredibly deluded. Please bear in mind, I have loved and lived this genre for as long as you have been alive and I am in a far greater position than yourself to put its evolution into context. I understand your need to defend your favourite bands, and I bear you no ill will for that, but please, don't overestimate your own weight in this matter. There is still something to be said about wisdom of the ages.

Haha you're a FUCKING IDIOT. I realize a lot of modern bands are not playing the style for the "right reasons" but let's also not forget that black metal's ideals were basically a hilarious joke (or, that's how they began). Then again you know more than I do and despite having knowledge of styles and their evolution, and my ability to trace the past to the present, I can never attain your greater wisdom.

I'm also 18, and the moderator of the forum. If you want to keep going here, you will stop being such a pig-headed moron. Your posts usually involve personal attacks, flames, or pointless trolling under the guise of "discussion-starting." Call me biased (I am, I'm denying nothing), but I don't think that if you can sink that low you should be able to stay. Take your knowledge and preach to someone who believes that black metal is more politics and stupid worthless ideologies and thoughts than music and sound. I, for one, am fucking sick of you.

I'm sorry, but where the hell am I flaming someone? By the fucking gods, you pull this out of your ass because you, personally, have an issue with my opinions. I knew your moderatorship was going to be questionable at best, but you've truly outdone yourself on this one. And if you think for a second that your position somehow give your opinion more weight, your delusions just reached sky-high boundaries.

I am never flaming, I am never trolling and I certainly make a hell of a lot less personal attacks than ANY GIVEN MEMBER on this forum. In fact, look at the beginning of your own post, and see that you have just made a more blatant personal attack than I have in this entire thread, hypocrite! I'm sorry if discussions that don't follow the standard "X band rule. Yeah they totally do." formula go over your head, but that is really not my problem.

Now, if you have further issues with me, a PM would be in order, something I surely don't have to tell you, O mighty moderator. I will, however, NOT stop posting here, just because you find my opinions hard to swallow.

Oh, and get over yourself.